Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd is ungrateful

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

I have no idea why. I always taught her to say thank you when she recieves gifts from anyone. Instead she says "I don't like that" "It's ugly". I'm ready to stop buying her anything because of this. I don't know why she does it or if it is because of her age (6). I cannot control what my parents, family, or friends buy her for Christmas or her birthday. WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:33 PM
My brother used to act like that as a kid. He'd get time out when we got home. He's really polite now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:35 PM
My niece is that way. She'd lose it, break it, whatever and then say "well, I didn't want it anyways".

I stopped buying shit for her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds pulled that once and I didn't buy him anything or allow him to accept gifts for a month. He never did it again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:37 PM
Make her write thank you notes and don't let her open gifts right away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a child psychologist, but I don't think  year olds understand the concept of gratefullness, they just are brutally honest.  Maybe teach her why it's not nice to says those things in front of people....because she hurts people's feelings.  She may not understand why she must say thank you if she doesn't like the gift.  I have a 6 yo DD too, and kids at that age want to please their parents.  Use positive reinforcement when she does say thank you.  Also, let her know she can tell you after the guests leave that she hates the gift.  This is what has worked for me.

SamMom912
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Practice... Put funny things, ugly things, pretty things all in gift bags... Practice saying "thank you!"be silly; have fun!but teach the lesson that regardless what it is... All we need to say is "thank you"...

Im sure you can find books at your library about saying thanks as well...

Punishment wont be as memorable. :) have fun TEACHING her the proper responses!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It's because she's 6. Children are assholes.

She'll grow out of it.
Bleacher-mom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM
This. 100% this.

Quoting SamMom912: Practice... Put funny things, ugly things, pretty things all in gift bags... Practice saying "thank you!"be silly; have fun!but teach the lesson that regardless what it is... All we need to say is "thank you"...

Im sure you can find books at your library about saying thanks as well...

Punishment wont be as memorable. :) have fun TEACHING her the proper responses!
ShaMac
by Emerald Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM
My dd noted that when my niece receives gifts she is not even a little gracious and if she were to ever behave the way her cousin does she would probably never receive another gift so long as she lives. It's true too. I don't mess around with that.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Ds pulled that once and I didn't buy him anything or allow him to accept gifts for a month. He never did it again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:41 PM

yeah so are 4 year olds, but none of my friends children do this. I don't punish, but I will take the gifts away

Quoting Anonymous 6:

I'm not a child psychologist, but I don't think  year olds understand the concept of gratefullness, they just are brutally honest.  Maybe teach her why it's not nice to says those things in front of people....because she hurts people's feelings.  She may not understand why she must say thank you if she doesn't like the gift.  I have a 6 yo DD too, and kids at that age want to please their parents.  Use positive reinforcement when she does say thank you.  Also, let her know she can tell you after the guests leave that she hates the gift.  This is what has worked for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)