Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why some parents push for a diagnosis

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies
2 moms liked this
There have been a lot of post tonight about sn and diagnosis. I am more talking about the invisible disorders aka mental illness.

Parents push for it because it necessary for treatment. If your child has say something like bipolar or autism, even something as small as adhd the diagnosis is very important for certain types of therapy, meds if needed and to get a 504 or an iep in place.

It doesn't mean we want our kids to have a disorder or are happy about it it mean we want to help our children get treatment, accommodation so one day they may become a functioning member of society.

When my youngest was diagnosed I took him in for testing to rule everything else out. I waited to long with my oldest and I am now dealing with the fall out of that.

Some disorders can be life threatening. Say depression. Especially in teen can lead to suicide.

I don't know anyone who want a sn child but I do know people who fought to get the diagnosis so their child can get proper treatment.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My son probably has ADHD or ADD. I have NEVER pursued a diagnosis and I monitor things with diet. I want to avoid labels if I can. Obviously, if it were something more serious like bi-polar I would do what ever necessary to help him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
The thing with adhd it usually come with something else and sometimes it is something far worse than adhd because the symptoms are so similar
There are types of bipolar that have symptoms of adhd. Adhd is just usually to go to diagnosis at a young age when these symptoms appear

Quoting Anonymous: My son probably has ADHD or ADD. I have NEVER pursued a diagnosis and I monitor things with diet. I want to avoid labels if I can. Obviously, if it were something more serious like bi-polar I would do what ever necessary to help him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:06 PM
Bump
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Someone drank all the Kool-Aid in the world I see....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I waited too long with my DS. Trying to "avoid labels". He is autistic though, and that did more harm than good. If the child really has issues they need help with parents need that diagnosis to get anything. It's a lot more important than you realize.
JadeHope
by Jade on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM
My son is gifted. He learns differently, but he is incredibly smart and that needed and deserved to be fostered from the start. I had to push hard for anyone to take me seriously, but I'm so thankful I did. He's thriving, and he wouldn't have had that in a traditional setting. His other illness is a physical one but again, I had to push to get him tested. He would be dead had I not pushed that and gotten a different doctor for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I have a label-collector friend. She's happiest when her kids are getting another acronym attached to their medical charts. It's disturbing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:10 PM
I agree. It is very important
People tend to think we just want a label but it isn't that. We want to help our children

Quoting Anonymous 2: I waited too long with my DS. Trying to "avoid labels". He is autistic though, and that did more harm than good. If the child really has issues they need help with parents need that diagnosis to get anything. It's a lot more important than you realize.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:10 PM
I agree. My dd 7 was just diagnosed with a form of dislexia and I'm thrilled because now she will get an iep and special education services.
dusty_707
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:11 PM

what does sn mean?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)