• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I do not eat meat

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm a vegetarian, have been since I was about 10 when my mother changed her diet and therefore mine. I will eat some dairy products, but I don't like eggs anyway, and I will not eat meat. I haven't had meat in years and the last time I had it, it made me ill. My body is not used to it and I don't like the taste.

I don't make a big deal of it. I cook meat for my husband and my kids eat meat, but I do not.

My mother in law doesn't approve of that and continually tries to convert me to her way of eating meat with every single meal. I do cook a lot of vegetarian meals, and she thinks that's just horrible parenting.

Every time we go to her house, she cooks some kind of meat based meal, either chili or some other soup, or a casserole. Anything that I can't easily pick meat out of or that has shredded or ground meat is what she makes. She gets downright pissy when I politely decline and just have some salad. So, she's stopped having salads with the meals. The last two times she had nothing there for me to eat so when we went over last night, I brought food for myself. She flipped. Said I was a selfish, rude guest and that I shouldn't throw such a fit. I told her that she was a very bad hostess, since she knew I did not eat meat and she never had a meal available for me to eat and now she was upset that I'd brought something for myself.

We ended up leaving without eating and my husband told her that from now on, they could come eat with us, since his mother felt the need to be a bitch.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:02 AM

That sucks. I don't blame you for bringing something you could eat if she's not flexing at all.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:03 AM
Cool.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:09 AM
She absolutely is not and she never cooks meals that come in various parts, it's always mixed together. If it were something like steak and potatoes and veggies, I'd eat everything but the steak. But she doesn't cook like that.

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

That sucks. I don't blame you for bringing something you could eat if she's not flexing at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I love meat! I crave steak sometimes. It's so yummy!
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:19 AM

Good for you!  She was being a rude hostess. 

thatgirlyouknow
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:23 AM
I don't blame you. I would bring my own food too if she's going to be like that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:24 AM
Ok? If you enjoy it, go for it. I don't.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Mobile Photo

I love meat! I crave steak sometimes. It's so yummy!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:25 AM
She really was! It's not like she hasn't had years to adjust. If you invite someone and you know they have certain dietary restrictions or needs, you don't invite them or you provide for them.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Good for you!  She was being a rude hostess. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:25 AM
That's apparently not acceptable either.

Quoting thatgirlyouknow: I don't blame you. I would bring my own food too if she's going to be like that
thatgirlyouknow
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:26 AM
Oh well. She can get over it or serve foods you can eat.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's apparently not acceptable either.

Quoting thatgirlyouknow: I don't blame you. I would bring my own food too if she's going to be like that
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)