Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My own rules for when my adult child lived at home S/O

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

My rules for when my eldest turned 18 and was working/living at home -she paid a measly 100 per week - were as follows:

No sleepovers - I had preschoolers and I didn't want them being kept up all night while she fuckassed around with her little friends

No boyfriends - she was not mature enough to date, and I didn't want random boys/men around my preschoolers (had I allowed her to date, all her dates would have had to spend time with us first)

No alcohol - again preschoolers (our drinking age is 18 here)

No inappropriate clothing/music/TV shows etc - all her things had to be appropriate for preschoolers to watch/listen to unless she was in her room alone -and if they chose to go into her room - she had to switch it off. (So no shit like Pretty Little Liars, Vampire Diaries, etc, while they were in the room)

A curfew of 9pm - that's when the kids were finally asleep and I didn't want her noisy ass waking them up. At 9pm she had to be off the phone and she wasn't allowed to watch any videos in her room without headphones after that time.

No staying home alone unless she was babysitting; this included trips away - otherwise I had 3 nagging preschoolers for the entire time (sometimes 3 days) asking  me why they couldn't stay home too. The solution - nobody got to stay home.

She seemed to agree with all those rules. She followed all of them and moved out at 22 when we decided to move to another state.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
702girly
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:51 AM
1 mom liked this

That's crazy to me but she had the option of moving out if she didn't like your rules so I'm not going to get down on you for it. It's your house.

geeez
by Baroness on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:52 AM
I agree with all but staying home alone. She was 18 what was the big deal?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:54 AM
Not even going there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:56 AM
I didn't want her to have parties or boys over. My house my rules.

Quoting geeez: I agree with all but staying home alone. She was 18 what was the big deal?
Lighthouse1800
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:57 AM

She had to be home by 9pm?

LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:59 AM
Yep. Always.

Quoting Lighthouse1800:

She had to be home by 9pm?

LOL

SaigeMarie
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this
That's cool. I'm our home it's either you go to school at 18 or you move out. You won't love under my roof without obtaining education.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:16 AM
I don't believe in forcing people to spend money on education when they don't want to or don't know what to do. She did go back, but it took almost a year.

Quoting SaigeMarie: That's cool. I'm our home it's either you go to school at 18 or you move out. You won't love under my roof without obtaining education.
okpondlady
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:21 AM

Dang and I thought I was strict.  :)   

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh good Lord. You controlling ass parents of ADULT children give me a pain
I have a 19 yr old son living at home while he finishes school. He has no rules. Because he is an ADULT.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)