Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all Creative Mama's! (space saving hacks).

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I'm reaching out to all the wonderful creative mamas out there for their best space saving tricks!!

Newly separated here, and moving into a cozy little house. The basement of the home is rented out to a separate tenant, so I would only have the main floor area. It's a super cute, fully renovated 3 bedroom unit.

The only problem is the storage space, or lack of! There is a closet in every bedroom, but no linen closet or front hall closet! I have access to an outdoor shed that I could put the children's bikes, and camping gear in. (Do you think it's safe to store my Christmas stuff in rubber maid bins out there?).

I need some ideas for coats/shoes/linens/toys/arts&crafts/keepsaes etc. that won't break the bank!

There a tons of ideas out there, but I dont want to spend a fortune so I was hoping some of you ladies could share some more frugal ideas from your personal experience!

Thanks a bunch!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
neveragain17
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:49 AM
As far as Christmas stuff in rubber bins, yes! Just a tip , tape your lids all around the top "seal them" just so nothing gets in them!
jjames1990
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Toys...
I used netting when my kids where little. I hung it in the corners of their ceilings and put toya and stuffed animals in there. It looked cute and really helped out.

neveragain17
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:51 AM
Oh and Pinterest has some really good affordable ideas!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:56 AM
Good idea! I'll definitly do that!

Quoting neveragain17: As far as Christmas stuff in rubber bins, yes! Just a tip , tape your lids all around the top "seal them" just so nothing gets in them!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:58 AM
Actually, I remember my mom did this when I was little! I think back then they were called "Peter Nets".

Thanks!

Quoting jjames1990: Toys...
I used netting when my kids where little. I hung it in the corners of their ceilings and put toya and stuffed animals in there. It looked cute and really helped out.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:58 AM

Coat rack by the front door for your coats when in season.  Some bed lifters to raise your beds and you can use the space underneath for storage, you can get plastic containers that are wide and long to store your spare bed linens.  Put up shelves in the bathroom to store towels.  You get an etagere (standing shelf system over toilet) to store your toiletries as well as shower/tub caddies for more storage.

sahmof3fl
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:03 AM
You can get shoe holders (the ones that have a little pouch for issue and hang behind a door). Put them behind each door. I love them. You can put everything from small toys to cleaner to Sheets anything you want. It's a major space saver
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:05 AM
Can you put up shelves? A shelf or two in the bathroom for towels, a shallow container under the beds for sheets, and put blankets on the top shelf in the bedrooms. Put up a coat hook bar to hang coats in the foyer or living room.
sahmof3fl
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:06 AM
Also and I know this isn't what you asked about but I would ask your landlord if he is okay with you getting a chain lock for the basement door. Not to say that the basement tenant would try to come into your home but all they would have to do is leave the door that leads from the basement to the outside unlocked and anyone could get into the basement and therefore into your home.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:07 AM
We use the ikea toy systems. They
Hold so many toys. Also a cheap bookcase for some baskets you can stick hats/mittens in. We also have an ikea shoe cabinet! The thing is amazing.

You can always get one of those cabinets with doors on it and put in a corner somewhere for a linen closet.

I put some of those super cheap shoe cabinets from ikea behind the bathroom door for extra storage too
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)