• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My parents and I were going out of town this weekend and we are on hold because their dog is struggling. :(

He went Wednesday for his regular check up. The vet gave his vaccines in his leg instead of neck. The next morning he could not walk. The vet says the vaccines played no part. My parents are sure he had no injury/fall/etc.

Does anyone know if soreness is a normal dog reaction? Could it be an allergy? Any other ideas?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
702girly
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:32 AM

Were they late getting his vaccines? We had that happen to a dog we adopted from the shelter and it was distemper. I hope that's not what it is. It's a brutal disease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Vaccines are very hard on a dog and I would think it was definitely the vaccine that caused the dog issues the vet always claims it wasn't but it normally is I hope he gets better soon poor boy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:35 AM
Also most vets over vaccinates and that is what causes the problem it's all about the money
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:38 AM
Oh gosh, no. He is older and has been getting regular vet care always.

The vet told my parents it is just arthritis but he went from normal to not walking in like 10 hours. My dad had to carry him outside and he struggled to stand to pee. My parents are a mess and the vet is very flippant. So I was just hoping it is nothing major and maybe just a sore leg?

Quoting 702girly:

Were they late getting his vaccines? We had that happen to a dog we adopted from the shelter and it was distemper. I hope that's not what it is. It's a brutal disease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope so. He is my parents baby. Once we grew up and moved out they definitely started parenting this dog. :(

Quoting Anonymous 2: Vaccines are very hard on a dog and I would think it was definitely the vaccine that caused the dog issues the vet always claims it wasn't but it normally is I hope he gets better soon poor boy
whattheheck85
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:42 AM
What kind of dog is he? Our dog did the same thing when she had an issue with her back. She was fine and then suddenly she couldn't walk. We ended up taking her to the vet and getting puppy muscle relaxers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM
He is some kind of mix. He was a rescue. He looks like a large terrier. Like lab large.

They went back the next day and got the arthritis blow off. I told my mom I would see someone else today. They should have at least some xrays, I think. While my parents feel pretty confident he wasn't hurt they do not watch him non-stop.

Quoting whattheheck85: What kind of dog is he? Our dog did the same thing when she had an issue with her back. She was fine and then suddenly she couldn't walk. We ended up taking her to the vet and getting puppy muscle relaxers.
ptkds
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:49 AM
It probably is soreness. It's very odd that they did the vaccine in the leg. Have your parents massage the large thigh muscle a couple of times a day, if the dog lets them. It may help speed up recovery. Older dogs get achy just like older people. I hope he gets better soon!
whattheheck85
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:51 AM
Our puppy is a lab too. The bigger the dog, the more common back issues arise. Definitely you need to get the dog it is he someone who will take you seriously. I have a great vet who gave us her cell phone number. You need to find someone you can count on. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous 1: He is some kind of mix. He was a rescue. He looks like a large terrier. Like lab large.

They went back the next day and got the arthritis blow off. I told my mom I would see someone else today. They should have at least some xrays, I think. While my parents feel pretty confident he wasn't hurt they do not watch him non-stop.

Quoting whattheheck85: What kind of dog is he? Our dog did the same thing when she had an issue with her back. She was fine and then suddenly she couldn't walk. We ended up taking her to the vet and getting puppy muscle relaxers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:56 AM
Thanks I will suggest this.

Quoting ptkds: It probably is soreness. It's very odd that they did the vaccine in the leg. Have your parents massage the large thigh muscle a couple of times a day, if the dog lets them. It may help speed up recovery. Older dogs get achy just like older people. I hope he gets better soon!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)