• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Normal Behavior?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

My daughter turned 3 in November. She started special ed preschool with school district due to some delays she has. Mainly speech. She still pretty much non-verbal. Although she does know a few words. 

Anyways, she has been doing great. She adjusted really well. She always been pretty happy and easy going. We have noticed in the past month or so tho that her tantrum level has kind of hit the roof. It seems like she is always unhappy and miserable. She fights us on every little thing. Things she use to like and enjoy, now she acts like she hates it. Screams/yells "NO" and throws herself on the floor. 

She gets speech and occupational therapy outside of school. 3 at home, 1 at clinic. She use to love these visits. Now whenever she sees her therapists, she refuses to cooperate. Half of her sessions are her tantruming and them trying to get her to calm down. 

She takes the bus to and from school. She use to do very well with that as well. We would go outside in the morning and wait for the bus and she would jump up and down and get all excited when she saw the bus. Now she will cling to me and cry. When the aide goes to grab her to put her on bus, she will start kicked and screaming and have a full on meltdown. I have to take her on bus and put her in her seat. They tell me once she is on bus, she calms right down and is fine. They say once they get to school, she throws fit again when it comes time to get her off the bus. I am not sure how she does once she gets to school. The teacher hasn't told me anything when I see or talk to her on days I pick her up. And when she comes home on bus, the staff on the bus haven't said anything to me. She comes off the bus happy and smiling. 

So sound like normal toddler behavior? Like the terrible 3s? I can't figure out what else is going on with her. Nothing has changed at home. And she is getting more than enough sleep. She takes a 2-3 hour nap once she gets home from school. And still gets a good 10-12 hours of sleep at night as well. So Its nothing like that. 

Its so frustrating. And she doesn't talk, so its not like I can talk to her and find out what is going on or try and reason with her. I am assuming its her just trying to be independent and be in control. She is just super sensitive and emotional. Any little thing sets her off. I am hoping its just a phase and she gets back to her normal self soon. 

Any thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:06 AM
So you, talk to her teacher.....but you don't ask her how she does during the day?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:11 AM
With her being non verbal is it possible someone is doing something they shouldn't ? From going to that big of a difference doesn't seem normal to me. Just a thought
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:12 AM
She said her daughter is non-verbal.

Quoting sandra_t00: So you, talk to her teacher.....but you don't ask her how she does during the day?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:13 AM
It's sounds like she has developed a dislike for transition and is maybe frustrated with something. Are you and the preschool giving her plenty of notice before a transition? I know with my son I give him a 10 minute warning, a 5 minute warning and a 2 minute warning, if I don't he will fight me on any changes. Also, using a "first and then" chart might be helpful. "First we do ____, then we ____."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
But she's not saying talk to the child, she's saying the teacher. The teach should be verbal. Just because someone can't speak, doesn't mean there won't be some insight into behaviour from and aide.

Quoting KaylinC03: She said her daughter is non-verbal.

Quoting sandra_t00: So you, talk to her teacher.....but you don't ask her how she does during the day?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:15 AM

I do. But her teacher putting other kids on bus or handing off other kids to their parents. So she busy and distracted. She just quickly says she had good day and moves on. I sent her an email this morning being more specific to see if she is having same issue with her as well. She is sent home with a book everyday that has daily log that tells me what she did for the day and it does have behavior section. But it just says good or bad day. The good day is always marked off. So I assume either she is doing better at school. Or the teacher just thinks its normal toddler behavior as well and doesn't think to mention it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:17 AM
But if she just started this preschool recently, that is definitely a cause for a big change in behavior. That's a huge change for such a young child, especially one that can't voice what's bothering them. Routine is a child's best friend, especially one with special needs.

Quoting Anonymous 2: With her being non verbal is it possible someone is doing something they shouldn't ? From going to that big of a difference doesn't seem normal to me. Just a thought
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:19 AM

I really don't think so. As far as school goes, the bus has a driver and an aide. At school itself, she is in classroom with 2 teachers and 2 aides. She is never alone with her therapists either. I am always in the same room observing and participating. And I am SAHM so, I am with her the rest of the day. She is never alone with anybody. So I don't think its anything like that. She went from pretty lax to super structured days tho. I wonder if its just overwhelming her or something. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: With her being non verbal is it possible someone is doing something they shouldn't ? From going to that big of a difference doesn't seem normal to me. Just a thought

jabs54
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Maybe she is just frustrated she can't talk?  I hope you can figure out what's going on.  Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:24 AM

I am not sure how her day goes at preschool at all. I assume its pretty structured and they do give them warnings when transitioning from one activity to the other. But I wonder now if that is maybe what is overwhelming her. Before all this, we just hung out at home. There was no structure to the day really. Now between preschool and her therapies, everything is on schedule and controlled. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: It's sounds like she has developed a dislike for transition and is maybe frustrated with something. Are you and the preschool giving her plenty of notice before a transition? I know with my son I give him a 10 minute warning, a 5 minute warning and a 2 minute warning, if I don't he will fight me on any changes. Also, using a "first and then" chart might be helpful. "First we do ____, then we ____."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)