• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was wrongfully fired

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I was wrongfully fired from my job. When my boss was firing me I asked for the reason and she made stuff up. She said I did things that I never did.

I had no issue finding another job. I start next week and I'm just looking to leave that office behind me.

Dh thinks my old boss needs to be reported. We always had people "leaving" and now I wonder if she was making up stuff about them too.

Is there anything I can do? I don't want to get anything out of it...I just feel very robbed of a job that I enjoyed. Up until I was fired, she had been telling me I was doing great. Not even 3 weeks prior, I got more hours and a raise so I just don't get it.

I live in VA and work in the dental field if that changes anything.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:52 AM

file a complaint with the labor board and BBB...chances are you were fired so they could hire someone cheaper

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:53 AM
Maybe if you get the story from everyone that left and see if she has been doing this a lot you can contact HR?
ejkdmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:56 AM
Unless you had a contract or she fired you for a reason that is protected by federal law like discrimination, Virginia is an at will state. You boss can fire you for pretty much any reason. Talk to a lawyer I guess.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:56 AM

Unless you were fired for a federally protected reason, there's really no recourse in Virginia. However, if your company was big enough to have an HR department you could register your complaint there. 

Pooh_ki
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM

From my research virginia is a right to work state which means they can fire you and not have a real answer. Just like you can quit without reason. They don't have to give you an answer for why they're letting you go. Sorry and she probably just wanted to get rid of you and got flustered when you asked. Glad you found more work.

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:01 AM

VA is right to work.  Unless you are fired for something related to protected class stuff, you have no recourse.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Most employment discrimination/firing laws exempt small businesses from complying, which totally sucks.  You can file a complaint with your local labor board and go on yelp and and glass door and give the dental office a bad review.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)