Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mind your own business, sdd

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 182 Replies
My sdd is 13 and is always trying to tell me what I can and cannot wear. Her mom is 48 and dresses like an old lady as in like my grandma (ill fitting slacks with a blouse for work and baggy mom jeans and a t-shirt if she is not at work). She is 13 years older than my husband who is 35. I on the other hand am 29. I am not supermodel thin but I have a cute figure. I wear skinny jeans with a cute top a lot of the time. Sometimes I wear a spaghetti strap sundress. When we go swimming or to the beach I do usually wear a bikini. Nothing too revealing but cute for a woman in her twenties. I am never dressed inappropriately and would feel comfortable just about any time walking into my 6 year olds school dressed as I am. In fact most the time when I go to my daughters school I'm not dressed any differently then the teachers are (at my dd's school, the teachers are allowed to wear jeans).

Anyway lately, my step-daughter, who is with us every other weekend and one night during the week, has taken to telling me that I am dressed inappropriately. For example, on Wednesday night she was with us and we were going to church. It was about 80 degrees outside I wore a cute causal sundress with a matching cardigan with sandals. Perfectly acceptable for our church. In fact I could have worn that Sunday morning. My step daughter looked at me and said you're not wearing that are you. I told her yes I am and she told me it's inappropriate and I need to go change. I told her I'm not going to go change and she needs to stop being so disrespectful to me. My husband walked in the room and asked what was going on and I told him. He told his daughter to mind her own business.

This happens all the time. And I don't mean to be mean but honestly she could do with dressing a little bit differently herself. She dresses a lot like her mom does. Most days she wears jeans that don't really fit and a t-shirt. Anytime I buy her anything like jeans that actually fit ( not even skinny jeans just ones that are the appropriate size for her body) or a cute top it ends up in the back of her closet. She has a little extra weight on her so I sometimes wonder if that is why she dresses the way she does but if she thinks she's hiding the fact she's got a little extra weight on her she's actually exaggerating the extra weight. But I've stopped trying to help her with her wardrobe because she obviously doesn't like it. However I am so sick of her trying to tell me what to wear. I am a grown woman.

Anyway she was at our house last night because today is a planning day at school. We decided to go out to dinner to a steakhouse which happens to be sdds favor place. I put on a pair of skinny jeans that fit me a pair of sandals and a cute tank top. She took one look at me and told me that I'm so embarrassing. I was so sick of it I said how would you like me to dress and she said you should dress like my mom, you know like you have some kind of dignity. I told her I'm not dressing like your mom I am almost 20 years younger than your mom. I wanted to add that her mom dresses like she's 20 years older than she is but I didn't say that. She kept whining and when my husband came in she told him that he needs to tell me to change or she's not going. He took one look at her and said "fine stay home. You can make yourself a sandwich for dinner, we will be home in a couple hours". We got our six-year-old the three-year-old and the baby and left.

She has not spoken to either one of us since. I don't know what to do with her but she's going to have to learn that she needs to stop being so disrespectful to me. I have been around since she was 4 so it's not like this is a new thing
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:33 AM
She's 13.

My 13 year old step daughter is the same way. I'm more than 20 years younger than her mom.

I don't dress inappropriately but I do dress like a 30 year old- which I am. Today, I have on flats, blue leggings and 80's inspired blue and white sweater- it's kinda chilly this am. My boss loves my outfit today.

SD would hate it if she saw me.
quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

not only is she 13 which sucks anyway,shes a stepchild..also,maybe her mom is putting her up to it..?

KittyMom1026
by Sharon on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a lot older than you and I wear skinny jeans. Infact, one of my favorite outfits is skinny jeans, a white tee shirt and white keds. I'm also thin and hate baggy jeans.

Now, I do admit that my skinny jeans aren't those that look like they're 2 sizes too small. I've seen those and think they look really uncomfortable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
That's such an awkward age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:45 AM
6 moms liked this

Wow, that's messed up. She has some real feelings going on here, and they are being ignored by her father. Of course she's acting this way. Instead of actually talking to his child, Dad is punishing her for having feelings. You used this as an opportunity to take a dig at her and her mom. Her mom's old and your step daughter is overweight. Real nice.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I think a lot of that just comes from her being a 13 year old. I'm not saying it's right or ok. Just from my experience with my 2 dd, ages 12 until about 15 where like that.
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this
She's 13. Tell her to pipe down or you will start making her wear dresses down to her ankles everywhere she goes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Didn't this post get a couple hundred replies last time? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM
Do you see the irony with your title and the fact thAt you posted it here?
MrsDukati
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:50 AM
7 moms liked this
Good for DH! She's being very disrespectful, and has no right to determine what you wear.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)