Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obsessed with being poor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
I'm not poor. I have a roof over my head and food and clothes. But I am working poor, living paycheck to paycheck, never any vacation or shopping sprees or money to just spend on whatever.

I hate living this way.

I know i'll never win the lottery. The only way I see ever escaping this is to leave my husband for a rich man. This is laughable, because I'm really no prize. I'm not sure why my mind goes there first and I want to change it.

I have ideas all the time for new APPs that could be popular. Or inventions / new takes on old ideas...but I have no idea what to do with my ideas.. All they ever become is sketches in a notebook.

Anyway, I'm looking for stories about how you changed your financial situation and what it was like for you. Do people ever really change their situation?

Btw, I have a master's degree in education and make $44k/year. I also have about $200k in debt due to school loans, medical bills, etc
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:31 AM
I seems as though tutoring could be quite lucrative for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:35 AM
I've done that. It's extremely competitive in this area, and I end up paying for a babysitter..

Quoting Anonymous 2: I seems as though tutoring could be quite lucrative for you.
702girly
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I hate to be negative but I think you made a big mistake taking on so much debt for a degree in education. It's an honorable profession but it's no secret that teachers don't make much.

I have friends in the same boat and I don't know what to tell them. You basically chose to be lower middle class when you choose to be a teacher. It's not fair but it's reality.

valarie1979
by Already on it on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:38 AM
Live within your means, go claim bankruptcy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:40 AM
Poor people suck.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:42 AM
Start thinking outside of the box about careers you can achieve with your education. Corporate trainers make decent salaries. Adjunct at a community college a few nights a week for extra money to put towards your debt. If you are a teacher at a public school, look at public service debt forgiveness.
Angela_Barlow
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
So you must be poor.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Poor people suck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:42 AM

The way I changed my financial situation was by working in an in demand field. Also, I'm self employed and work for myself because I can make more money this way.

Having children you can't afford isn't helping you.  Why do you have to hire a babysitter to tutor?  What's wrong with your husband that he can't watch your child?  Do you not have any relatives who would watch your child for a couple of hours?   Also, does your school have summer school?  Teach for summer school, do supplemental education or tutoring over the summer, apply to work at a place like Sylvan and/or get a job this summer outside of the teaching field this summer.

Also, clearly you are intelligent.  Start a cleaning business this summer.  Work it yourself and hire a few employees to work it when school starts again.  OR, do it at nights and weekends when you aren't in school.

jjames1990
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM
When my ex and I first got married we use to scrape pennies together to get Ramen for dinner. I used cloth diapers because I couldn't afford disposable. We had a car but we walked most places, to avoid paying for gas. Things were very tight.

But we worked a lot. He was in the army and always had a part time job when not employed. I did other people's laundry, cleaned and babysat. I also did medical transcription and worked at a grocery store from 11p to 7a three nights a week.

We were tired and had no life. But we managed to get ourselves in a very good place.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Why do poor people suck? Poor people are some of the nicest people you could meet, most are the most helpful.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Poor people suck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)