Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That's how many kids??

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:46 AM
  • 23 Replies
So, on Monday I started babysitting 5 kids for a single dad I know. I am friends with his ex-wife. She was the one who called me for him. The kids aren't bad (two are special needs, though), but he couldn't find anyone to care for them.

Yesterday he went in for a test on his heart. He is now out of work for a while. He asked me, "If I have surgery, could you take them for a month?"

Take all five kids for a month? I understand it's heart surgery. That is huge and he will need time to rest. It isn't that I am unable to handle it, but I don't think I want to handle it. I told him I wouldn't mind helping, but I can't take them.

I texted my friend and then we chatted on the phone. I told her what he said. She said she will call his family for him. He didn't want to bother them with it, I guess. I just don't understand why he would ask me if he has family.

For the time being he is home from work. I am now only "on-call". I promised to be his 24 hour "on-call" as well. He did have a scare two weeks ago at midnight and had to be rushed in. I know they had a hard time finding someone to take the kids that night. I don't mind that, but I didn't agree with being their caregiver for a month.

Now my guilt is seeping in. I shouldn't feel guilty, though, right? My boyfriend is sure he is going to lose custody of the kids since he can't find someone for the surgery. I don't want that. Arg!!
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fightlikegirl.2
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Why doesn't mom take them?
EponineVader
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, if she is the one making all the calls for sitters, why can't she just take them for the month and take them to see Dad when she can... That's what I would do

Quoting fightlikegirl.2: Why doesn't mom take them?
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:53 AM
Is your friend the mother of his kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM
She gets them for the long breaks. She had to move due to her job. She didn't want the kids to leave the school. She lives 3 hours away. She did rush her when he was hospitalized. Also, only the two oldest are hers.

The other mom abandoned the three littler ones. She is somewhere down by Mexico. They don't know where she is. These kids would probably end up in foster care.

Quoting fightlikegirl.2: Why doesn't mom take them?
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM
I wouldn't feel guilty at all for saying no. Those kids have a mother and other extended family.
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM
Just the oldest two. She lives three hours away. She wants them to be in this school.

Quoting mommyof11050307: Is your friend the mother of his kids?
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM
My friend is the mom of the oldest two. She lives too far for them to attend this school if she took them. The other mom has disappeared. The youngest three would probably end up in foster care.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I wouldn't feel guilty at all for saying no. Those kids have a mother and other extended family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM
You shouldn't feel guilty, but it's obvious that you do. Follow your gut instinct.
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I am trying. I do feel guilty.

Quoting Anonymous 1: You shouldn't feel guilty, but it's obvious that you do. Follow your gut instinct.
AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:42 PM
This single dad you know. Is he your boyfriend? Your post was unclear.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)