Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You still buy into the "stoner" stereotype for all smokers? Ha!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies
2 moms liked this

s/o post 

I understand people disliking weed.  I understand people thinking it's bad for communities, smells bad, poses a danger if legalized, all that.  I disagree, but I understand.  

What makes me laugh out loud is when people believe that everyone who smokes weed fits into the stereotype of the "stoner" with no job, bad hygiene, very little ambition, and living on gov assistance programs.

It's just not true not anymore.  It hasn't been true for a long, long time.  When you push that imagine you just show how old and/or out of touch you are. (Yes, thats exactly what I said in the other post)

I personally know lawyers, nurses, surgeons, software engineers, teachers, financial consultants, librarians, and lots of other people who have successful careers and smoke weed sometimes.  When I graduated from a pretty prestigious prep school in 2000 almost everyone in my class had at least tried it, and many of them still enjoy it to this day.

And yes you may know some people who smoke weed and fit that mold, but maybe they're just lazy, dirty, and uninspired people in general? I know people who fit the description of the "stoner" and don't smoke weed.  Some people are just losers with or without weed.  

Despite the person on this site who loves to post all day about how she's smoking, and the reruns you watch of COPS from 1992, people can enjoy weed responsibly. 

Again, I understand that not everyone enjoys marijuana, or agrees that it should be legal.  Again, I disagree, but understand their arguments and can see why they feel the way they do, 

but anyone who honestly tries to say that smoking weed makes you a loser, or immature, or someone not a good person, is just wrong.  Delusional. Misinformed. Sheltered. Showing how old they are.  Ignorant.  detached from reality.

**ETA: OKAY MAYBE THAT WAS A LITTLE HARSH.   I admit there are still people out there who are exactly like this. And I totally believe you know some people who smoke and fit this mold.

Might I suggest though, that those people are just like that, and would be with or without the weed? Like someone who abuses alcohol and ruins their life over it, they ave more going on than the substance they're abusing.

Also, I'm willing to bet you know a lot of more people who smoke than you think, but the professional, upstanding citizens who use don't usually broadcast it, especially if they live in states where it's still illegal.  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virtuoso
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Yep and how they think we cannot function with day to day life. I can drive, watch kids, watch t.v., go to work, work, clean all day long when home, exercise, go for walks, and more and more and then some - all while high without it being even a minor problem. Without it even being a speckle of a concern. People need to mind their own damn businesses when they literally know nothing other than what they see on the DARE programs ffs. 

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Old biddies who have nothing better to do than judge shit they don't understand.
Lol

Pay them no mind. I don't.
*inhales*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Trying it or doing it occasionally doesn't make you a stoner, but I know more habitual smokers that do fit the stoner mold than not. I don't think everyone who tries it or does it is a greas, smelly basement dweller but there are still many that perpetuate that stereotype
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:43 PM

I also think of all the people doing everything you just said while on opiate pain medication, or Xanax, or other medication that can be far more impairing than weed.

Quoting virtuoso:

Yep and how they think we cannot function with day to day life. I can drive, watch kids, watch t.v., go to work, work, clean all day long when home, exercise, go for walks, and more and more and then some - all while high without it being even a minor problem. Without it even being a speckle of a concern. People need to mind their own damn businesses when they literally know nothing other than what they see on the DARE programs ffs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, for the most part, but I don't think vitriolic posts like this are going to win anyone over. If you were on the other side of the argument, how would feel about being called delusional or ignorant? Probably not very receptive.

We can find a way to be heard without being salty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM
Meh, your experience is not my experience. The ONLY potheads I've ever known are indeed the stereotypical stoners. They have a "band" rather than jobs at nearly 30 years old. They cared nothing about furthering their education. One didn't even finish high school. A few have kids and live in horrible conditions all because they don't care about getting a real job. And this was not a "long time ago." This is happening today lol...

I understand that not everyone is the same, but good grief I'm tired of hearing what upstanding and respectable citizens pot smokers are. That's not always true either.
CampHarris
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I agree 100%.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM

True, there are.

but I know a lot of people who live with their parents, don't work, stay on federal subsidies for years, and have bad hygiene that don't smoke.

Not to be mean, but someone times a loser is a loser and even if they smoke weed, that  isn't the cause of it

Quoting Anonymous 3: Trying it or doing it occasionally doesn't make you a stoner, but I know more habitual smokers that do fit the stoner mold than not. I don't think everyone who tries it or does it is a greas, smelly basement dweller but there are still many that perpetuate that stereotype

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Well I understand that, because I'm so tired of hearing what losers all pot smokers are.

And I'm willing to bet you know a lot of people who smoke, and just don't discuss it openly because of the stigma still surrounding it.  

I know IRL I occasionally , smoke, so does my boss, so do 2 judges in my county (at least)  and none of us talk about it publicly.

I only really talk about it on here when someone else raises the issue 

Quoting Anonymous 5: Meh, your experience is not my experience. The ONLY potheads I've ever known are indeed the stereotypical stoners. They have a "band" rather than jobs at nearly 30 years old. They cared nothing about furthering their education. One didn't even finish high school. A few have kids and live in horrible conditions all because they don't care about getting a real job. And this was not a "long time ago." This is happening today lol... I understand that not everyone is the same, but good grief I'm tired of hearing what upstanding and respectable citizens pot smokers are. That's not always true either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Like I said, I understand that not everyone is the same. But your post is titled "you still buy into the stoner stereotype? Ha!"... Like you think I'm an idiot for" believing" something I've actually witnessed first hand. And that is what irks me. Sure, lawyers smoke weed. Big whoop. I believe you. Why do you imply that I'm somehow wrong or just don't understand *real* potheads because I have a different experience? (cuz that's totally what this post implies)

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Well I understand that, because I'm so tired of hearing what losers all pot smokers are.

And I'm willing to bet you know a lot of people who smoke, and just don't discuss it openly because of the stigma still surrounding it.  

I know IRL I occasionally , smoke, so does my boss, so do 2 judges in my county (at least)  and none of us talk about it publicly.

I only really talk about it on here when someone else raises the issue 

Quoting Anonymous 5: Meh, your experience is not my experience. The ONLY potheads I've ever known are indeed the stereotypical stoners. They have a "band" rather than jobs at nearly 30 years old. They cared nothing about furthering their education. One didn't even finish high school. A few have kids and live in horrible conditions all because they don't care about getting a real job. And this was not a "long time ago." This is happening today lol...

I understand that not everyone is the same, but good grief I'm tired of hearing what upstanding and respectable citizens pot smokers are. That's not always true either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)