Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did this gender equality bake sale lead to death threats?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM
  • 3 Replies

How the hell did this gender equality bake sale lead to death threats?

Literally rape threats over cupcakes.

Rae Paoletta

Rae Paoletta

In case you needed a reminder that toxic masculinity is as fragile as blown glass, a feminist bake sale in Australia recently prompted men to respond with death and rape threats — because they had to pay $1 for a cupcake.

For their annual feminist week, an on-campus women's group at the University of Queensland (UQU) held a "Gender Pay Gap Bake Sale." There were no prices for each treat — instead, prices were "set at the proportion of the dollar female graduates of each faculty earned relative to men," the Guardian reports.

Prices took gender, race, and professional position into example. The women's group reportedly said:

“For example, if you are a woman of color in the legal profession, a baked good at the stall will cost only cost you 55 cents!”

When men were asked to pay a dollar per treat, chaos ensued. According to Madeline Price, the gender and sexuality vice-president at the UQU, the simple request turned into a social media firestorm.

Male students took to the bake sale's Facebook event page to leave horrifying sexist comments. Remember, this was literally caused by cupcakes:

In addition to since-deleted rape and death threatscommenters wrote:

• “I’m so glad I know this event is on, now I won’t have to sort through all the ugly chicks when I’m out clubbing cos they’ll all be at feminist week instead”
  • “Kill all women”
  • “I’d punch a chick if she winked at me at the bake sale”
  • “Females are fucking scum, they should be put down as babies”
  • “I want to rape these feminist c-nts with their fucking baked goods”

The controversy even launched its own hashtag, #CupcakeGate, in which thankfully, reasonable people clapped back:

Despite the ire of many sadboys, Price said the bake sale was overall a massive success — all treats were sold in under an hour.

“The majority of men who approached the bake sale did so in solidarity to the cause – they handed over $1 without even considering the other factors," she told the Guardian. "Many were surprised to learn that their status as a man with a disability or identifying as LGBTIQA+ also allowed them a discount proportionate to their economic losses in real life.”

Are you surprised people lashed out like this over a bake sale?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Am I surprised men acted like fucking children? No, most of them do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Am I surprised feminists are making a HUGE FREAKIN DEAL about the select and inevitable moronic comments they received even though the bake sale was "overall a massive success?"

Nope. Not at all.

They did it to make a point. Point made. And now they cry victim like they didn't see it coming from a mile away lol...
WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:10 PM
You clearly missed the point of it too lol

Quoting Anonymous 2: Am I surprised feminists are making a HUGE FREAKIN DEAL about the select and inevitable moronic comments they received even though the bake sale was "overall a massive success?"

Nope. Not at all.

They did it to make a point. Point made. And now they cry victim like they didn't see it coming from a mile away lol...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)