Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all Landlords..

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:47 PM
  • 84 Replies
3 moms liked this

I have read many a post people complaining about their landlord. I thought lets flip it around.. Lets hear tenant horror stories.. I will go first:

In the past 4 to 5 years we have had pretty bad luck with tenants. One guy waited untill 4:40 on a friday to let us know the heat wasn't working. (He has 3 young kids) He stated it went out the day before.. We call our heat and air repair company. They couldn't get anyone over there that evening. The repair guy shows up the next morning around 8:30 am.. They wouldn't answer the door or phone. Repair guy calls us to inform us of this and also states he can see the kids peaking out of their bedroom windows.. When tenant finally calls us back after noon he stated he doesnt get up until 12- 1 pm.. WTH.. One day his wife calls my DH yelling at him for showing up unannounced.. Come to find out it was one of her coworkers who stopped by.. The only time we stop by unannounced is if you are late on your rent and avoid our calls.. I could keep going but this was long enough already..

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Not technically tenants but I sold a little house owner financed & they quit paying & destroyed it. I'll look & see if I still have photos.

ETA This is all the photos I can find. I'm sure it's obvious which are before & after. They ripped doors off the solid wood cabinets I had had built. Ripped out carpets & tile. The roof started leaking in one room & they just let it leak for about a year. It took my handyman ten minutes to fix it but they couldn't be bothered I guess.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually we have only been renting for three years. We've had the same family the whole time. They are great tenants. The 6 kids worried us at first but eveything is always clean and maintained. Rent is always on time. Hope you have better luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We have been renting properties for the past 20 years.  The worst tenant was a middle aged nurse.  The first year she was wonderful.  But then she lost her job, quit paying rent, had the electric and water turned off in the house and caused over $30,000 in damages before we could get her evicted.  Our attorney said there was no point in suing her as she had no money and no assets.

In contrast, we donated one of our properties for a year for use as refugee housing.  Our property housed 4 young Sudanese men and when they left, it was in better condition than when they arrived.  They were a joy to have live in one of our properties.

DellaG
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM

The current renters are good about maintaining the property. However DH has to remind them rent is due every month..

Quoting Anonymous 1: Actually we have only been renting for three years. We've had the same family the whole time. They are great tenants. The 6 kids worried us at first but eveything is always clean and maintained. Rent is always on time. Hope you have better luck.

DellaG
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:04 PM

It takes so long to evict people.. They have more rights in some ways than the property owner (at least here in FL)..

Quoting Anonymous 2:

We have been renting properties for the past 20 years.  The worst tenant was a middle aged nurse.  The first year she was wonderful.  But then she lost her job, quit paying rent, had the electric and water turned off in the house and caused over $30,000 in damages before we could get her evicted.  Our attorney said there was no point in suing her as she had no money and no assets.

In contrast, we donated one of our properties for a year for use as refugee housing.  Our property housed 4 young Sudanese men and when they left, it was in better condition than when they arrived.  They were a joy to have live in one of our properties.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:09 PM
I rent, and we've been here 16 years, they're awesome.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:10 PM

One of my close family friends is a landlord and due to their experience I would never take renters. 

They rented out a small 2 bedroom apartment that was 1/2 of the double they owned.  The other half was occupied by their college aged son.  The renters were around the same age as the son with two small toddlers.  The renters were constantly asking the son for diapers and food because they were "broke" but always seemed to have the latest electronics, beer, cigarettes, and other non-essential items.  The couple ended up dealing with CPS (not sure who called but was not my friend or her son) and the cops threatened to condemn the property due to the damage the renters caused.  Despite all this (including both parents being in jail for over 30 days) it took nearly 6 months to evict them.  It took another 4-5 months of work to get the renters half livable again.  One of the son's friends rents their now but they will not take a renter without stellar references anymore. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:11 PM

It took us 4 months.  It was really sad in many ways because she had no electricity and no water for most of that time.  She ripped up all the floor boards and cabinets to burn in the fireplace for heat.  We had no idea because the last thing she stopped paying on was the rent.

Quoting DellaG:

It takes so long to evict people.. They have more rights in some ways than the property owner (at least here in FL)..

Quoting Anonymous 2:

DellaG
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM

I definitely would not have been happy seeing this.. One tenant decided to paint the banister around the front porch a lime green color. Really?  Oh and we have had to replace the blinds because they were ruined. The ceiling fan in the master bedroom looked like they were hanging from it. Twice I have had to fix the door knobs. they were either broke or turned around so they locked from the outside.. Had to repair a roof in the florida room. and repaint all of the kitchen cabinets..and so on..

Quoting bluebunnybabe:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Not technically tenants but I sold a little house owner financed & they quit paying & destroyed it. I'll look & see if I still have photos. ETA This is all the photos I can find. I'm sure it's obvious which are before & after. They ripped doors off the solid wood cabinets I had had built. Ripped out carpets & tile. The roof started leaking in one room & they just let it leak for about a year. It took my handyman ten minutes to fix it but they couldn't be bothered I guess.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Do you send them a bill?

Quoting DellaG:

The current renters are good about maintaining the property. However DH has to remind them rent is due every month..

Quoting Anonymous 1: Actually we have only been renting for three years. We've had the same family the whole time. They are great tenants. The 6 kids worried us at first but eveything is always clean and maintained. Rent is always on time. Hope you have better luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)