• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stuttering then seizures but mom doesn't seem concerned?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Mom is certainly concerned, but also very casual.  Supposedly this girl (about 18) suddenly started stuttering a few months ago and then about 3 months ago began having seizures.  She's supposedly had most every test available and they've come to no conculsions.  We were at a meeting last night and she slumped forward and fell out of her chair (face first).  Someone helped her lean against the wall where she sat out of it & trembling for at least 1/2 an hour until she finally got up to leave.  She was obviously still quite out of it.  She was walking on her own, but reminded me of someone playing "zombie".  It just seemed that no one even reacted when she had her seizure.  Is this how people handle seizures?  Is there something more that sould be done?  Does anyone have an idea what could cause such a quick onset of seizures at 17?  

I don't know the mom and it's not my place to ask, but i'm curious.  Supposedly she's had an MRI and blood tests and EEGs and such and nothing shows anything.  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM
There is not much you can do for a seizure besides make sure they are not in environmental danger
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Do you just leave them or should they see a doctor afterwards?  My initial reaction was to call 911, but maybe that's too much.  I just cannot believe that she wouldn't at least be on some kind of medication or something.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: There is not much you can do for a seizure besides make sure they are not in environmental danger

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM
I had a friend in HS that had them. We just made sure the tables and chairs were out of the way and the office called her mom.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Do you just leave them or should they see a doctor afterwards?  My initial reaction was to call 911, but maybe that's too much.  I just cannot believe that she wouldn't at least be on some kind of medication or something.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: There is not much you can do for a seizure besides make sure they are not in environmental danger

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:26 PM
There's not much to be done with seizures, just make sure the person is safe and doesn't get hurt.. If they've run tests and can't find a reason for them, what else are they supposed to do? I had annubcle who had a crap beat out of him and the wounds to his head were pretty severe, he became epileptic after that incident.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:06 PM

I would think that medication or something would be done.  My understanding is that the more you allow seizures, the more damage that is caused tht will cause more seizures.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: There's not much to be done with seizures, just make sure the person is safe and doesn't get hurt.. If they've run tests and can't find a reason for them, what else are they supposed to do? I had annubcle who had a crap beat out of him and the wounds to his head were pretty severe, he became epileptic after that incident.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM
For all you know she is waiting to be put on meds or maybe she already is. There are many different kinds and they will likely have to they few before finding one that can help control her condition. Seizures generally don't cause more damage, they can if they're very severe, but they generally don't cause more.. They can be caused by many things, infection, abnormal levels of sodium or glucose, head trauma.. Sometimes it's just the way the person's brain developed

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I would think that medication or something would be done.  My understanding is that the more you allow seizures, the more damage that is caused tht will cause more seizures.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: There's not much to be done with seizures, just make sure the person is safe and doesn't get hurt.. If they've run tests and can't find a reason for them, what else are they supposed to do? I had annubcle who had a crap beat out of him and the wounds to his head were pretty severe, he became epileptic after that incident.

darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:47 PM
Seizures are scary to watch. You really just let the person have the seizure, making sure they are not hurting themselves. Most times the seizure stops after a few seconds. And then their is a postitical stage ( the zombie effect) that can last a few minutes to hours.

As long as the person is known to have seizures and comes out of the seizure fairly quickly and doesn't go into another right away there is no need to call an ambulance or be seen in an emergency room most times.

My son has seizures and we do nothing for him, but record the seizure and monitor him at home. He is on seizure meds, but you can still have break through seizures.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:04 PM

According to the lady I was speaking with, they found nothing wrong with her and are not treating them.  I didn't speak with the mom, but she was so calm.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: For all you know she is waiting to be put on meds or maybe she already is. There are many different kinds and they will likely have to they few before finding one that can help control her condition. Seizures generally don't cause more damage, they can if they're very severe, but they generally don't cause more.. They can be caused by many things, infection, abnormal levels of sodium or glucose, head trauma.. Sometimes it's just the way the person's brain developed
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)