Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Murder on UT campus.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM
  • 28 Replies

I work on the University of Texas campus, and earlier in the week, the body of a female student was found. This is the first murder in like, ever? (Not counting the campus shooting here in the 1960s) 

It's all ANYONE can talk about.

They've identified her and even arrested someone. A 17 year old homeless kid :(

The whole thing makes me sick. I hate that some horrible human took the life of a 19 year old who had her whole life ahead of her, but at the same time I wonder how a 17 year old becomes homeless. Where are his parents? Was he a part of our foster system and if so, did they let him down? Is he mentally unstable? Is he a runaway? So many questions.

This REALLY hit close to home as I work 2 blocks away from where this happened this week and it just makes me uneasy :/

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:33 PM
We the kid a he or a she?
kcangel63
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:34 PM
Very sad none the less. :(
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Person who was killed was a 19 year old UT student. Person who is a suspect is a 17 year old homeless boy.

This was The University of Texas. Austin. 

Quoting kcangel63: We the kid a he or a she?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:35 PM
The guy with the bike? The found him? Also, I was wondering why he was a suspect. There were plenty of people in the area that night that had not talked to police. I wonder why they singled him out. I assume that they have info that they haven't released. But, it makes one wonder.

Also, he could be a run away. At 17, they won't make the kid go back home.
allebas1
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Wow! How very, very sad. Pretty dumb to murder someone especially in TX since TX executes more murderers than any other state.
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Yeah, I was thinking he might be a runaway. The whole situation is sad.

They found him, yeah. The fire dept got a call about a trash fire and he was trying to burn a fanny pack or something, that supposedly had some of her belongings in it, near campus. They took him to the homeless shelter and some people said he looked like the guy from the video so the cops arrested him.

Quoting Anonymous 1: The guy with the bike? The found him? Also, I was wondering why he was a suspect. There were plenty of people in the area that night that had not talked to police. I wonder why they singled him out. I assume that they have info that they haven't released. But, it makes one wonder. Also, he could be a run away. At 17, they won't make the kid go back home.

TriggerQueen
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why more people should be trained and have a fighting chance to defend themselves if they are attacked! So sad and so unexpected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Yeah, I just saw that on kxan. Not that he was burning her bag, but that it was in his possession. They also said this "According to an article published in December 2015 by Texas High School in Texarkana, Criner said he was bullied his whole life and went through the foster care system as a child. In the story titled Voice of Hope, Criner said he was a victim of physical violence. He said one foster parent threw him to the ground and injured his back. The Department of Family and Protective Services confirms Criner was in the state’s foster care system."

Quoting robibuni:

They found him, yeah. The fire dept got a call about a trash fire and he was trying to burn a fanny pack or something, that supposedly had some of her belongings in it, near campus. They took him to the homeless shelter and some people said he looked like the guy from the video so the cops arrested him.

Quoting Anonymous 1: The guy with the bike? The found him? Also, I was wondering why he was a suspect. There were plenty of people in the area that night that had not talked to police. I wonder why they singled him out. I assume that they have info that they haven't released. But, it makes one wonder.

Also, he could be a run away. At 17, they won't make the kid go back home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:41 PM
At least he will have a home for a long time, maybe he will get to have a field trip to Huntsville, too!

The whole thing makes me sick. Her poor parents who live in OR thought that she would be safe there. I am 1.5 hours from you. Today the talk of the town here is the murder - suicide at Lackland AFB. It's a sad world we live in,
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Fuck.

Why does none of that surprise me? The system fails so many kids. And now he's taken the life of another person and even if he feels remorse, there's no going back. But I can't imagine the kind of mindset he had to be in to even fathom killing a girl he saw?! Like WTF?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yeah, I just saw that on kxan. Not that he was burning her bag, but that it was in his possession. They also said this "According to an article published in December 2015 by Texas High School in Texarkana, Criner said he was bullied his whole life and went through the foster care system as a child. In the story titled Voice of Hope, Criner said he was a victim of physical violence. He said one foster parent threw him to the ground and injured his back. The Department of Family and Protective Services confirms Criner was in the state’s foster care system."
Quoting robibuni:

Quoting Anonymous 1: The guy with the bike? The found him? Also, I was wondering why he was a suspect. There were plenty of people in the area that night that had not talked to police. I wonder why they singled him out. I assume that they have info that they haven't released. But, it makes one wonder. Also, he could be a run away. At 17, they won't make the kid go back home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)