Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom thinks my husband is autistic

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
OR has aspergers (sorry if I misspelled).

It makes me so mad! She uses it to bother me, or to insult me or him. He does have ADD. He's 27, has a decent job, and we have a house, 2 cars, and 2 beautiful kids, while starting up our own small family business. But everytime he forgets something, doesn't do something perfectly, or is lazy for a day on his day off, she cries "mentally challenged". He's smart, and witty and caring and doesn't deserve that treatment.but she's so sure he's got autism. It's frustrating.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Does she realizes how much this could hurt your dh and does she care ?  We had the reverse going on here. I was the one viewed as being slow and was never taken seriously. It hurt, still does.(not mil, other family members.)

I no longer react to it, just quietly absorb it as they are talking. It really sucks.

Give you dh a huge hug for me.

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM
Laziness and forgetfulness aren't autism symptoms...

Anyway, I think you should hook your mom up with a copy of The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin. Maybe point out that many of the main characters on the Big Bang Theory show signs of being on the spectrum if reading isn't her thing.

If that doesn't work, tell her to cut it out or she won't see the grandkids until they're old enough to drive to her thenselves.
momngram
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM

And what do you say to her when she says those things?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:32 PM
She needs to stop. I would tell her to stop or leave and not come back.

She is being very offensive. Many people deal with this issue and shouldn't made light off. Plus if he actually has an issue, that is cruel to make fun of him. She wouldn't be welcome back to my life until she stopped.
A_McCool
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Your mom is being a jerk. I'd tell her to stop calling him names. Autism is not an insult.

I have Aspergers.  I was diagnosed in adulthood.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:37 PM

how is it that your mom has said that to you more then once? Nobody would say that more then one time about my husband!

They would KNOW to NEVER say that to me again after saying it just 1 time! You Allowed this more then once?................................Really?

PoisonEyeV
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:39 PM

punch her in the throat...once

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:41 PM
Why are they still a part of your life? Drop the baggage.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Does she realizes how much this could hurt your dh and does she care ?  We had the reverse going on here. I was the one viewed as being slow and was never taken seriously. It hurt, still does.(not mil, other family members.)

I no longer react to it, just quietly absorb it as they are talking. It really sucks.

Give you dh a huge hug for me.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM
Stop letting her talk shit about him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM
While it's possible that anyone could be on the autism spectrum (I am), your mom is way out of line. It doesn't sound like she is actually concerned for him or for you, but she is just using the idea of autism to be mean.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)