Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teenager who won't go to school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
I am at my Whits end. I'm going thru a divorce where my husband cheated. Now I have to move out of my house into a much smaller apartment. And to top it off my teenage son is missing school almost daily. I have a full time job that's a 45 minute drive so I can't always be there to force him to go. He is very stubborn and bit is a daily struggle as he is not afraid of any consequence s. Does anyone have any advice that could help? I'm on my last straw. Thanks.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:57 PM

I need more information.  How many days has your son missed?  What is his reasoning?  Does he work?  Has he given you trouble before?

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:57 PM
How old is he?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:57 PM
They take missing school very seriously and even could charge fines to the parents. Which I can't afford right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:59 PM
Does he have electronics? Take them.
TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Have you talked to him to find out what is going on? 

I'm sure the change is upsetting for him. That doesn't mean he is free to skip, but approach him in a loving, understanding way as opposed to punitive if you wish to start a dialogue. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Quoting Hanab818: How old is he?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM

What does dad say? Is he doing anything to help out? And how old?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:02 PM
He needs you to be there for him, mom. His life has just been turned upside down, his whole life has changed. Of course he's missing school. He's probably depressed and he misses his dad. Can he do online classes?
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:04 PM
In my state he would be considered truent. I would contact the school and try and work with them to either get him back in and prevent yourself from legally getton in trouble.

Quoting Anonymous 1: 14

Quoting Hanab818: How old is he?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:04 PM
I did that once before and he ended up running away to a friends house. I'm afraid of it happening again if I'm too hard on him.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Does he have electronics? Take them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)