• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son wants a rat. Eta: got pics?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
It's my fault. I want one and I showed him how cool they are. Now he wants one. But he's only 5 and we are kind of busy. Maybe this summer after we've had time to research, prepare, and know what we're getting into?
So those who have rats. Tell me where to start. I am googling but conversation brings information as well.

Eta: I've been talking with the kids a lot. We've been researching and watching videos. Looks like we're going with girls. Probably 3. Getting them this summer and getting a cage and everything before then.
Sooo, anyone want to show me pics?

Update: we bought a cage. In the upcoming weeks we'll start buying all the other fun stuff. Yay. It's hard to wait until summer to get the rats and I think I'm more excited than the kids. I researched the cage for 2 days straight and I'm very confident in the purchase.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:43 PM
So it would be best to get two rats so they can have each other when we're away at work and school? I just read that.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM
I have 2 rat ladies. They're the sweetest creatures ever. They really enjoy eachother too. I'd get 2 instead of one. Mine have bonded really well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:47 PM

I have rats. They're cool pets but they do need attention from their owners do its a bit more work than a hamster of other pocket pet. Also you should get a pair, they need friends.

ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:48 PM

my son has 3 rats, they are adorable and sweet. Try going to a vet for information, the internet will have alot of different things that are good or bad to do or feed your rats, a vet would know for sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:49 PM
My kids have 2. They are very smart and social animals. I had them when I was a child too. Pairs are best as they don't like being alone. I prefer girl rats but that's just me.
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy them weekly but not as pets. I hear they are cool though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:50 PM
we've been watching YouTube videos of pet rats. I'd love to get a pair. That sounds great. I'm checking cage prices and stuff as well. About how much would you say you spend on them for food, bedding, and such every month? They're generally a cheap pet right after you get past the initial cost?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I have rats. They're cool pets but they do need attention from their owners do its a bit more work than a hamster of other pocket pet. Also you should get a pair, they need friends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I'd have to find a vet for them. I live in a decently big city so that should be possible.

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

my son has 3 rats, they are adorable and sweet. Try going to a vet for information, the internet will have alot of different things that are good or bad to do or feed your rats, a vet would know for sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:52 PM
My mom had a snake when I was a kid. It only ate mice though. It wasn't real big. We've been watching YouTube videos.

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: I buy them weekly but not as pets. I hear they are cool though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:57 PM
I loved having rats but they don't live very long and I couldn't handle the heartbreak. I got mine as babies and they were awesome.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)