Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It was just a dog, you need to get over it!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

So last Saturday, I had to put one of my shih tzus down. He was our buddy, he would follow everyone around specially the kids. When the kiddos were at school he would be with me, if I had to feed the cows or take something to the mail box or even just washing dishes he was with me. When I was sick (which was a lot this past year) he was always in bed with me. He loved to chase the rabbits outside while I sat out on our porch and it was just a blast to watch him run and try to catch them. He was also my birthday buddy, he was born on my birthday, he was going to turn 2 this year. I miss him, a lot, it feels like I lost a human friend. I feel like everyone else in the family has moved on already but I just can't get over it, I still sometimes can't believe it. I cry when I am alone, and today I don't know if its because tomorrow will a week without him but it is specially hard. I have never had this feeling before, I have not had anyone pass in my family so this feeling of loss is very new to me. I feel empty and I am not sure I should as he was "just a dog". Am I wrong to feel this way?

Before anyone asks:

He got mauled by my neighbors bullmastiffs or so we think as they are only dogs that ever come on our property. He was outside at night, both our shih tzus were. I heard them barking but I was so dizzy from my meds that I didn't bother to get up. All of a sudden he stopped barking and the other one kept at it, so I asked my kids to go call him inside but just one of the dogs came. That's when all of us went out looking for him, after about a half an hour we found him sitting up but very wobbly when he saw me he just passed out. We hurried to the nearest vet, when we got there he had puncture wounds on his head the vet checked his eyes but he was blind from the attack. His stomach was bloated so they took xrays, his ribs were broken and they had punctured a lung and was suffocating on his own blood. There was nothing we could do, he was suffering so we put him down.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM
I am sorry for your loss. In my family dogs are part of the family we grieve their loss as we would any other member of the family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Why the hell was your dog outside by himself when you know you have a dangerous dog living next door?

Sorry for your loss, but this is what happens when you've got bad neighbors who don't control their dog, and you yourself are a  owner.

shyone_91786
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. They may just be dogs but it also hurts because u did love him like a family member
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this

My dogs are not "just dogs". They are family. We had to have our sick old cocker spaniel put down last year and it was devistating. 

WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:33 PM
Way to make her feel better, assnon!

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Why the hell was your dog outside by himself when you know you have a dangerous dog living next door?

Sorry for your loss, but this is what happens when you've got bad neighbors who don't control their dog, and you yourself are a  owner.

WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry. It's always hard to lose someone you love, no matter the species.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Because they were in MY yard, I didn't know they were dangerous they have never killed or done anything bad till this time. I keep my dogs in my yard, I watch them like they are kids but that night I was in so much pain.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Thank you, it is very hard.

Quoting WickedOpal: I'm sorry. It's always hard to lose someone you love, no matter the species.

annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM
Do you have coyotes out where y'all are, becuase that sounds like a coyote attack?

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a fur buddy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry you lost your fur baby. I'm going to go nuts when I lose my girl. She follows me everywhere, sleeps with us and has her own clothes

When I get a dress out so goes nuts because she knows she's going somewhere. Once the dress is on, she prisses like crazy.

Funny thing is, when she goes to the vet, once she gets to the door and realizes where she is she starts backing up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)