Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

13year old writing down what she eats

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
A coworker of mine was talking about how concerned she is with her daughter who is 13. She found a diary that her daughter has been writing in that keeps track of what she eats and drinks throughout the day. My coworker is literally freaking shit about it. She's saying how her daughter is going to have horrible body image issues and how she's going to start starving herself, all because she writes down how much she eats.

Now I can see why her daughter is doing this. Both parents are morbidly obese. My coworker keeps saying she'll try but then eats a 3 course meal for lunch and then eat dessert. The daughter is average weight. My coworker also told us that she freaked out at her MIL because MIL noticed her daughter lost a little weight.

So do you think it's normal for a teen to want to keep track of what they eat or if that's a sign that they have an unhealthy relationship with food and needs to be addressed asap and (as my coworkersaid) aggressively.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as she is eating enough and right I would see no issue with logging it.

readyforhim
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

writing it down is not a bad sign, it is showing responsibility to ensure she eats well.   

Spare.Time
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM
4 moms liked this

I think she looks at her parents and is determined to not be like them.  She is keeping a food diary to check herself.  Good for her.  Great idea. 

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM

I encourage my older kids to keep a food journal. It helps them to see in black and white the junk they eat and they naturally cut back

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM
As someone who has had an eating disorder for most of my life (age five and I am 28), id say it's a cause for concern.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as she's actually eating healthy foods and portion sizes and is getting a full-balanced diet, I wouldn't worry too much.

I would keep a closer eye on things, however, were I your co-worker. Not hover and not nag, but just pay more attention even subtly.

A food journal isn't always a sign of an eating issue but cataloging portions and even down to how much liquid is drank is something some people with an ED do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM
This.

I would only worry if the amount was less than what a typical child her age should eat.

Quoting ColleenF30:

As long as she is eating enough and right I would see no issue with logging it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:30 PM
No, I don't think it's normal. Her surroundings have forced her to be aware. Her parents being overweight and society being judge mental. She should be in counseling to help her figure this out.
joaniedanger
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:33 PM
I think it's awesome! Having said that, it would worry me if her eating was too restricted. There's no reason not to keep tabs on food intake.
hateaway
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:35 PM
Seems too early:/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)