Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Counseling

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am currently a graduate student studying counseling, and I cannot decide between school counseling and professional counseling.  When originally starting the program, I had thought I would go with school counseling, as I have an education background and love working with children.  However, I am realizing that school counselors have very little time to meet one-on-one with students or to get to know them personally, at least in the bigger school districts, As one of the biggest draws of counseling was being able to work individually with the kids, maybe I should turn to professional counseling and just work with kids.  I know that this really isn't anything that anyone can really tell me what to do, and I am not looking for that.  I just thought maybe this could be a sounding board.  Thanks!

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM
I think going on to be a child therapist or psychologist would be a good idea. You could try private practice and then go to the school sector if you wanted.

MrsRStewart
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Thanks for the input.  I keep hearing the counselros telling me that they have 500 kids on their case load; they did the numbers and would only have time to meet with each kid for 20 minutes each year indidvidually.  It sounds awful, esp. when there are kids you know need help and aren't getting it.

CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:38 PM

I think you should go into professional counseling. You have more opportunity. You can concentrate and specialize in children and have the luxury of opening your own practice or working in a school if you choose that path. 

MrsRStewart
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Thanks!  This is helping a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)