• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make your guests clean?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:59 PM
  • 60 Replies
My in-laws like to celebrate everything in my house. After they leave, my kids' rooms are a mess. What frustrates me is that when my kids come to their house ( which happens once in a blue moon), their cousins (the same once that make a complete mess in our house) don't let my kids touch their stuff. All my kids do in their house is watch TV, because that way they just sit in one place and not make any mess in their house.

My question is, would it be appropriate to ask them to clean my kids' rooms, together with my children, after they finish playing and ready to go home?
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:02 PM
I close/lock all bedroom doors when guests visit now. It took a huge weight off my shoulders. Outside or main living areas only. And, yes, if they don't leave too late they should be helping clean up.
WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:02 PM
I always have whatever kids they were playing with help clean up before they leave.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:02 PM
They're family, they can pitch in a help clean.
razorbackfan
by BadgerMom on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:02 PM
I would
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:02 PM
I don't play that crap. You make a mess you help clean. I wouldn't have anyone over again to celebrate till they learned the rules. When everything is getting ready to leave I tell them all the messes have to be cleaned up. I don't let my kids leave a house where they made a mess. I had a friend that used to let her kids trash my house and i made her kids clean their mess up. She never cleaned her house but I refused to spend all day cleaning up for them to come over and trash everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imyourPuppy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:05 PM
I lock my bedroom now. Last year they were playing hide and seek in the house, and broke all the shelfs in my closet. I was furious. It took me everything I've got not to call and cream at them.(I saw it after they left)

Quoting Anonymous 1: I close/lock all bedroom doors when guests visit now. It took a huge weight off my shoulders. Outside or main living areas only. And, yes, if they don't leave too late they should be helping clean up.
Coffee_in_Hand
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Growing up we spent the night at my cousin's houses, and were expected to help cleanup, but that was for a sleep over.

I'd just say as soon as one of them suggests having it at your place, say, "Sure, but can you guys help me cleanup after?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:06 PM
If they helped make the mess, they would help clean the mess
If they refuse then the next time they come over, then they would only be allowed to sit in one spit and watch tv only
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:07 PM
I honestly can't think of a time I've had friends or family over that didn't clean up before leaving. It's totally acceptable for you to tell them to tidy up what they've been playing with. I think it's really rude to just leave a mess.
bleumonster
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:08 PM
Any kids who come over help clean up any messes before leaving, family or not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)