Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not every woman needs to be married!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ugh. I am sick and tired of my mother pushing me to get married. Every single time I see her, the first thing she asks is if I'm engaged yet. At the moment I'm not even dating. My mother's entire life revolves around her husbands, first my dad, then after his passing her new husband. I don't think she could even survive without a man running her life.

I'm happily single. I'm a single mother by choice. I have a career I love. If and when I find a good man and get married, that'll be wonderful, but I'm not going to settle and I don't need to. I just wish she'd understand that and stop pushing the issue.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Your mother sounds about as annoying as mine. I'm so sorry. lol

jpickens
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:46 PM

I am from the deep south, so you're an old maid by 25 if you're not married.  I didn't get hitched until I was in my 30s and I use to hear the same shit all the time but I settled when I was ready too. No regrets. 

Ignore it.  I did and they eventually left me alone about it.

Coffee_in_Hand
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Good for you

I would rather see every woman graduate college than see every woman get married. I wish little girls sat around planning their graduation ceremonies and we valued a young woman having an education as much as we value her "getting a man"

HeadOfCrazy
by Holls on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:47 PM
Good for you girl! If you're doing it on your own then I don't see what the problem is.
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:47 PM
I completely agree.

Quoting Coffee_in_Hand:

Good for you

I would rather see every woman graduate college than see every woman get married. I wish little girls sat around planning their graduation ceremonies and we valued a young woman having an education as much as we value her "getting a man"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:47 PM
I am perfectly happy single. I tried marriage...no thanks! I love my independence too much to try it again.
.SweetHart.
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:48 PM
I know two women happily single. My xmil and a dear friend. Xmil divorced xfil after 35 years of marriage and 10 of that miserable. They fought all the time, slept in separate rooms and gift giving on Holidays was sadly funny. They each bought the other what THEY wanted. Like one year he bought "her" a fancy computer desk and chair. For HIS computer. She bought "him" a new sewing machine. They stayed marries because they wanted their boys grown and out of the house. She's now a single gma with absolutely NO interest in men. She's never gone on a date, never spoken to another male. She's content alone.

My friend divorced my other friend several years back. Shortly after, she adopted a little boy and has been perfectly happy and content alone raising him. She's gone out on casual dates but has not been in a relationship of any form.

While I won't ever remarry if Dh and I divorce, I will date casually. I enjoy the presence and company of a man.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:50 PM
I totally agree and that's what I'm doing with my children, boy and girl, to focus on an education and building a good life for themselves and then, if and when they want, to find a partner, but to be stable and secure adults before they try that.

Quoting Coffee_in_Hand:

Good for you

petramarie1
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM
Cheers for you, you kinda need to tell her to back off, because yeah it was your choice.

My mom is the same way kinda, yes I'm married. But she somehow thinks she can make "decisions" for me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM
But what would they do with all those sandwiches they make if they don't have a husband? You can't stockpile sandwiches...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)