Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me he will speak.

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:07 AM
  • 32 Replies
So my almost 4 year old has a severe speech delay. He's been in speech therapy since 2 1/2 and in a specialized speech preschool program since he was 3.

He just started saying three word sentences about two months ago and you can understand him 90% of the time. That is a huge upgrade from a year ago when you could only understand 45% of what he was saying and only saying two word sentences. We practice three to five word sentences daily but he's still having a hard time with it.

I was talking to my husband tonight about his IEP meeting tomorrow and I broke down. I feel like such a failure as a mother even though I know I'm not. Husband kept reassuring me that I'm a great mom but I still feel awful.

Please give me hope and tell me he will eventually speak in long sentences and others will be able to understand him. Please tell me everything will be ok.
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:08 AM
I don't know. :( I hate to lie and tell you he will. I hope he will one day
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:11 AM
Well, my 15 year old only speaks in sentences of 3-4 words. And those sentences are hard to understand. He has a significant mental and speech delay.

I know that doesn't help but its reality.

You aren't a failure. You are getting your child as much help as you possibly can which makes you a great mother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommato5kids
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:11 AM
I'm really hoping he will and I have such high hopes after reading over his first evaluation that was done in April 2015, the IEP in September 2015 and another reevaluation in January.

The meeting tomorrow is to set goals for the next six months.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't know. :( I hate to lie and tell you he will. I hope he will one day
chinosruca
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:12 AM
Is there a medical reason for the speech delay? My disgusted may or may not be able to speak properly. Many kids/adults with her genetic condition have significant speech delays. Some don't speak at all, some are very very hard to understand, some can speak but they sound different (usually very nasal). My Ellasia has been in speech therapy since she was 6 months old (she will be 2 on June 2nd). She is very much behind where she should be.

It sucks. But, I don't feel like a bad mom. Sometimes a bit helpless. But, I know I am doing what needs to be done for her.

Big hugs.
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:14 AM
I'm sorry, my daughter will be four in July and she doesn't speak either, my nephew is two days younger and he doesn't speak either. A lot of kids I know that age are showing delays. It makes me question what medically happened that year. It seems odd to be a coincidence.
Mommato5kids
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:15 AM
Lots of hugs!

I'm counting my lucky stars that the only thing that seems to be wrong is speech. On the evaluations they also test physical, emotional, mental. Physically he places at his age level. Other things he places at or above his age level.

Speech he is always a year behind where he should be.

Quoting left.drowning: Well, my 15 year old only speaks in sentences of 3-4 words. And those sentences are hard to understand. He has a significant mental and speech delay.

I know that doesn't help but its reality.

You aren't a failure. You are getting your child as much help as you possibly can which makes you a great mother.
tinkerspell
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My son who has a speech delays talking In sentences and telling me what he likes and does not like which is totally fucking awesome because it took 7 years I just talk to him just to to hear his voice we are still far away from perfict mainly because of his autism but I love the progress
Mommato5kids
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:18 AM
Hmm...might be onto something. The preschool he attends is through our school district. It's for children with severe disabilities, speech delays, mental delays etc.

They made a specialized speech only class this year and hired two teachers just for that class. I asked the director why and he said the number of children around my sons age needs help with speech but don't have anything else they need to work on.

Quoting kmorales7690: I'm sorry, my daughter will be four in July and she doesn't speak either, my nephew is two days younger and he doesn't speak either. A lot of kids I know that age are showing delays. It makes me question what medically happened that year. It seems odd to be a coincidence.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:19 AM
I know a kid who really didn't speak until he was 4. He is 17 now. He's fine. Being recruited by colleges and likely some day the NFL. I don't know your kid and I'm not expert. But it happen and kids are fine. I also have a nephew that had a horrible speech problem. He spoke, but you couldn't understand a word get said. He's 9 now and he's fine. Aside from the speech issue he's never had any other issues.
Mommato5kids
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:20 AM
That is awesome!! He told me a couple months ago "I ove ou" I started crying.

Quoting tinkerspell: My son who has a speech delays talking In sentences and telling me what he likes and does not like which is totally fucking awesome because it took 7 years I just talk to him just to to hear his voice we are still far away from perfict mainly because of his autism but I love the progress
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)