Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oddly enough, I'm NOT happy for her!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 17, 18 in June, sister just got engaged. Her boyfriend of five months asked her during prom, and they plan to get married as soon as she turns 18. She graduates high school in May. Her boyfriend moved to our city in November, so they barely know each other.

Our parents are excited to be planning a wedding. I'm sitting over here thinking: Who the hell is happy that a kid is going to get married?!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:01 AM
Do you live in the south? Go to college and don't get married!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:02 AM
Shrug. I got married at 19 and I had only known him 2 weeks before we got married. 20 years later, we are still here. While it may seem rushed and that they are too young, you never know what will happen. Don't be happy, whatever just realize this isn't your choice to make
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:04 AM
I hope you realize that you are the very rare exception.

No, it's not my choice, but I hate having to watch my sister ruin her life. They're both very immature, they're kids. They have no business getting married.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Shrug. I got married at 19 and I had only known him 2 weeks before we got married. 20 years later, we are still here. While it may seem rushed and that they are too young, you never know what will happen. Don't be happy, whatever just realize this isn't your choice to make
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's really young, and it isn't something I would want for my child but I would still be supportive and help them plan their wedding, etc. I wouldnt want to look back and regret missing that.
Marie207
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:05 AM

I was thinking in the same mind set as you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:09 AM
Noone knows if their marriage will last or fail. You can know and date your man for 5yrs and then have your marriage fail, you can marry a man you barely know and make the marriage last forever. Although it wouldn't be my choice to marry at the age of 18, I would still be supportive and be happy for my sister.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:09 AM
Is she pregnant? One of my friends in HS did that. She got married 2 days after her 18th bday then a few weeks later said she was pregnant (as if everyone didn't already know lol)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:14 AM
God I hope not. She can't even manage to wake herself up for school, our mom still does that. She also can't even pack a lunch box :/ I can't imagine her married or even worse, with a kid. I don't doubt she'll end up knocked up soon enough though if she does get married.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Is she pregnant? One of my friends in HS did that. She got married 2 days after her 18th bday then a few weeks later said she was pregnant (as if everyone didn't already know lol)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I waited 2 days after my 18th birthday to have an abortion without my parents consent.

Go to college ladies. The marriage and babies at that age is ridiculous.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Is she pregnant? One of my friends in HS did that. She got married 2 days after her 18th bday then a few weeks later said she was pregnant (as if everyone didn't already know lol)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:15 AM

My aunt did that.  It worked just fine for her in the late 50's.  They are life partners.  I don't think those 2 were ever immature!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)