Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phoenix/Mesa area moms - looking for input

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
So my twins will be in college in the fall - one in NYC and one in RI and my oldest is already in college in NYC We are done with CT winters and high taxes and everything else.
My husband has a state pension and I can get a job.
I'm going next weekend to an open house for a community that offers a lot of fun stuff. My husband is over 55.
I'd also be bringing mother and sister with special needs so I'd need to have services and Drs for them in place.
I'm wondering if anyone has an adult with special needs relative in the area and also what you think of living there.
Thanks! I'll have a million more questions but excited to get a new start
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3inct1967
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:24 AM
Bump
JmooseP
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

its hot. 

Its hot

Its hot

but beyond that, COL is amazingly low (when i lived there with my ex, our 3 bedroom, half acre lot home in a gated HOA was only 750 a month) 

Food is much cheaper than anywhere else ive ever been. People can be distant, compared to states to the east of the mississippi. but its not too bad. 

Mesa is nicer than phoenix IMO, cleaner, kinder, less trashy. 

bcoll
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not in That area but wanted to give you a bump.
SciFiMama91
by 🎨Crafty Pants🎨 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol it is hot.

Holy crap on your rent. I was paying that for a 1 bedroom apartment until I moved in Feb.

Quoting JmooseP:

its hot. 

Its hot

Its hot

but beyond that, COL is amazingly low (when i lived there with my ex, our 3 bedroom, half acre lot home in a gated HOA was only 750 a month) 

Food is much cheaper than anywhere else ive ever been. People can be distant, compared to states to the east of the mississippi. but its not too bad. 

SciFiMama91
by 🎨Crafty Pants🎨 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
OP, we have a lot of resources for special needs adults out here you just have to do a little research.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I have lived in 21 states. Arizona and specifically Phoenix was my least favorite 

JmooseP
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM
Some parts of the valley are worse than others. We got the deal cause it was way out if town down in Laveen.

Quoting SciFiMama91: Lol it is hot.

Holy crap on your rent. I was paying that for a 1 bedroom apartment until I moved in Feb.

Quoting JmooseP:

its hot. 

Its hot

Its hot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:14 AM
COL is good but the job market isn't. Really research the area. It can go from really nice to not so nice quickly. It's different from other places we've lived that way. Bad areas are tucked into nice areas rather than the typical nice side of town then bad side of town. I wouldn't live in Mesa or Phoenix.
Healthcare there sucks ass. Dr's are taking on way to many patients and far too many people use the ER as a Dr's office. We moved because the healthcare was so, so, so bad. I'm not sure about adults but resources for special needs kids is inadequate at best.
The bugs also suck! Scorpions and black widows are your fellow tenants. So are huge centipedes, beetles and huge flying creatures.
momof3inct1967
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM
Why? Thx

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I have lived in 21 states. Arizona and specifically Phoenix was my least favorite 

momof3inct1967
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM
Yuck!

Quoting Anonymous 2: COL is good but the job market isn't. Really research the area. It can go from really nice to not so nice quickly. It's different from other places we've lived that way. Bad areas are tucked into nice areas rather than the typical nice side of town then bad side of town. I wouldn't live in Mesa or Phoenix.
Healthcare there sucks ass. Dr's are taking on way to many patients and far too many people use the ER as a Dr's office. We moved because the healthcare was so, so, so bad. I'm not sure about adults but resources for special needs kids is inadequate at best.
The bugs also suck! Scorpions and black widows are your fellow tenants. So are huge centipedes, beetles and huge flying creatures.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)