Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm ALMOST ready to give up homeschooling

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM
  • 63 Replies
We have been homeschooling exactly one year. DS has not progressed the way *I* thought he should. He's just not where I thought he would be one year into this.

He's not reading as well as I think he should be reading. Reading usually ends with both of us frustrated. Some days he reads really well. But then other days he will sit there and sound out CVC words for 10 minutes. I get frustrated because sometimes they are easy words that I thought he knew.

We tried "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 easy lessons." But didnt finish it. Some of it was way below where he was already at and some of it didn't make sense. It was just repetitive and we weren't getting anywhere.
I'm also frustrated because other kids his age at our homeschool co-OP are either already reading well or made great strides reading.

We have done a LOT this year. He is writing in cursive really well and he's picked up on multiplication. He can easily name off multiplication facts up to the 11s!
On the other hand he tries to count on his fingers if you ask him what 6+8 equals.

But he understands math concepts really well. He can add and subtract 3 digit numbers and borrow and carry easily.

Even through we didn't really focus on spelling this year, he spells really well! My goal was to get him reading more fluently before we switched gears to spelling. I have a spelling curriculum but I didn't even open it!

We use Classical Conversations as the base of our curriculum. We have covered so much with History and Science.

I know he has learned a LOT this year. I don't know if I am just being too hard on myself, but I just don't feel like he is where I want him to be at with reading. I worry that if I had to put him back in public school they would hold him back a grade.

He is 6 and suppose to be finishing first grade. But I worry if I was going to enroll him in public school next year he would have to repeat 1st grade. That makes me feel like maybe we have just wasted this year.

Furthemore, school has been a pain lately. It is a constant battle every day just to get started.
We do have good weeks where we dive straight in and we are done by lunch.
But then there are days that I'm dragging him to the table at 3pm just to start!
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM
You need to let go of some of this stuff, momma... Your kid is six. It really makes me wonder if this is actually a troll post.
mhaney03
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
He is six. You need to relax.
ihave1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Yeah I think you should give it up. 

SapphireMom911
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM
Not a troll.

I'm just frustrated.

I made this post after arguing with DS.

I want him to read his library books aloud to me. We have to return the books tomorrow. He wanted to negotiate.
"Let me play on my tablet and I will read 2 books."

No! That's not how this works!

When he finally started reading I don't think he was doing his best. He was stumbling over words like "did" and even "at." These are words I KNOW he knows!

Quoting Anonymous 1: You need to let go of some of this stuff, momma... Your kid is six. It really makes me wonder if this is actually a troll post.
JmooseP
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Get rid of all the school work and get a basic old fashioned phonics program. I know many kids who cannot learn to read using the newer ways. But have no problem with phonics.

SapphireMom911
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM
He turns 7 in a few months.

It just frustrates me when I see other kids his age reading with ease!

It makes me feel like I'm failing.

I made this post out of complete frustration because I've been fighting with him all morning to get started with school. When I finally did get him started I don't think he was really trying. I think he didn't want to do it so he wanted to make things as complicated as possible.

Quoting mhaney03: He is six. You need to relax.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM
If you're being truthful, your six year old is bounds and leaps ahead of any six year old I know. You need to relax. Or send him to school. Making learning into torture is why people pull their kids out of schools... Doing it at home is not okay either.

Quoting SapphireMom911: Not a troll.

I'm just frustrated.

I want him to read his library books aloud to me. We have to return the books tomorrow. He wanted to negotiate.

When he finally started reading I don't think he was doing his best. He was stumbling over words like "did" and even "at." These are words I KNOW he knows!

Quoting Anonymous 1: You need to let go of some of this stuff, momma... Your kid is six. It really makes me wonder if this is actually a troll post.
JmooseP
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:31 AM
He is feeding on your frustration.

I know it's hard. But you have to remain icy calm, and matter of fact, I straight to the point about everything. Don't show frustration or anger or stress. Reading time gets done or he gets No tablet at all. And that continues every day until he stops fighting. While you stay calm cool and collected. And stick to it.

Quoting SapphireMom911: Not a troll.

I'm just frustrated.

mhaney03
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:32 AM
You are stressing yourself out and burning him out. Of course hes going to have issues. Drop the reading for a bit and focus on something else. It isn't a race. Stop comparing him to others.

Quoting SapphireMom911: He turns 7 in a few months.

It just frustrates me when I see other kids his age reading with ease!

It makes me feel like I'm failing.

I made this post out of complete frustration because I've been fighting with him all morning to get started with school. When I finally did get him started I don't think he was really trying. I think he didn't want to do it so he wanted to make things as complicated as possible.

Quoting mhaney03: He is six. You need to relax.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I've homeschooled for 20 years.
Relax mama!!!
If you're this stressed, then it's time to reconsider, because he will be stressed as well.
I have four kids. One read at 4. Two read at 7-8, one-the oldest, fought me every single day with reading and math until she was 8-and she became my easiest child to homeschool. I couldn't keep books out of her hands. She's read most of the library!!! She also graduated a year early and has a great career.
He's 6. Relax.
And negotiations are allowed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)