Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this sound like it could be meningitis?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Update:

I found an urgent care who would see him. The doctor was concerned about the spots on his foot and told me to go straight to ER.

At ER they did x-rays of his chest (idk why). Then bloodwork. Then x-rays of his chest again bc there was a spot on his rib (?) they wanted to look at, and x-Ray of his foot. Then swabbed way back in his nose. His temp went up to 99.5 while we were there, then went down on its own. They said he did not have meningitis, and concluded that he was fighting off a virus and had no idea what the spots on his foot were. Asked about ticks. Brought in another doctor to look. Once his temp was normal they let us go home. Said if the rash on his foot spread, or if his temp got higher than the highest its been this week, to bring him back in immediately. Said to bring him back tomorrow regardless (yes, to the ER, don't know why) to recheck bloodwork.

The whole thing took about 6 hours. I felt silly the entire time, even after the first doctor validated my concern. But obviously I'm REALLY glad they didn't find anything seriously wrong, and I'm glad they were so thorough and didn't automatically dismiss him/me.

Poor baby finally gets to sleep now. He fell asleep 3 times while we were there and had to wake right back up for more testing or examination. (Totally not complaining, everyone was just doing their job, and were so nice to him.)

OP:

I'm sitting outside the ER feeling like I'm wildly overreacting. I'm not sure if I should take him in or not.

Here are the reasons why I'm concerned:

He's almost 4 months old.

He's had a low-grade fever off and on for 3 or 4 days (highest was 100.6).

He woke up this morning with reddish-purple marks on his foot. Could be bruising.

His soft spot feels "fuller" than normal.

He's been fussy and irritable for a few days. Didn't want to eat yesterday (also had bad gas last night so could have just been feeling unwell).

Might be having diarrhea (hard to say definitively bc he's breastfed so it's all soft anyway).

I was GBS positive when I was pregnant (had an antibiotic vaginal rinse instead of IV antibiotics.

I'm overreacting, right? Or should I go in? He doesn't seem sick, just fussy and irritable.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Go in !he shouldn't just have bruises. Not saying he has meningitis either. Worth having him seen in my opinion
FoxForceFive
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM

I would take him to a regular pediatrician for a sick appointment, not the ER.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:32 AM
Thank you

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Go in !he shouldn't just have bruises. Not saying he has meningitis either. Worth having him seen in my opinion
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM
Please update sending positive vibes and prayers !

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Go in !he shouldn't just have bruises. Not saying he has meningitis either. Worth having him seen in my opinion
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM
We're 1600 miles from home, visiting family. I tried to take him to urgent care but 4 months is the earliest they'll see kids. I could wait half an hour and call his doc when they open though.

Quoting FoxForceFive:

I would take him to a regular pediatrician for a sick appointment, not the ER.

MOM-RN
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:36 AM
Go. At that age better safe than sorry.
kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:37 AM
When my baby had meningitis he could not stand to be picked up. He would cry if you moved him, passed him from person to person, generally everytime his head moved. He didn't eat at all for days (we followed Dr instructions for a few days before heading to the ER). I don't remember his soft spot feeling different (maybe drawn in because he was dehydrated) definitely not "fuller" but my Ds was younger than yours. If you are worried have him.checked out but I would probably go to the pedi rather than the ER.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Is this rectal temperature? When he cries is it higher pitched?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Also why the vaginal rinse and not iv antibiotics?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)