Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**UPDATED** Oh, Dear Baby Jesus, People Can be so Petty!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 230 Replies
1 mom liked this
Update: She tried out and made the team! It was a PITA trying to track down applications and stuff because they didn't bring them to the charter, but we managed. I am so proud of her!

Last year, a new charter school opened in our town. By state law, the students are allowed to participate in sports and extracurricular activities through the schools in their home boundary (the school district). We pay a fee in order for our kids to be able to do so, as required by law. The high school is being completely ridiculous and either outright banning our kids from participating or putting ridiculous restrictions on them, despite the fact thst we pay for this.

So, the high school cheer team. Parents are throwing a fit saying if our kids are "too good" to go to the high school, then they shouldn't be allowed to participate in cheer. They are planning on "going to the district" to attempt to get our kids banned from participating, claiming it is a club and therefore our kids are not eligible to participate.

Prom. The school made it to where our kids had to have a "student sponsor" from the high school in order to attend Prom.

Kids at our school who are transferring to the high school next year have also been banned from running for student council.

The crappy thing is that these parents think they are being completely reasonable in illegally excluding our children from these things. I have never met parents so hell bent on being so awful to children in my life.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Is this a privately funded charter school? 

You might want to make sure of the state laws and how that pertains to the "home boundary." It might say it's exclusive to those schools in the public school district and does not include those students who attend a private school to even one that is privately funded.

Why would the charter school kids want to cheer for the local public high school teams? Why can't they have their own prom?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:51 AM
The only charter school I'm aware of is for naughty kids with low IQs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:51 AM
12 moms liked this

I don't think they are hell bent on being awful to children.  They are not wanting to see their tax dollars and the fund raising they've done for the teams as well as their school's prom being stretched thin to benefit kids that don't even go to their kids' school, and I can't say I blame them.  The fundraising is a PITA, and unless your kids plan on paying to attend these events, AND you parents of the kids going to the charter school are helping with these events, they shouldn't be allowed.

embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:53 AM
16 moms liked this

I don't understand why the Charter school doesn't have it's own activites like cheer and what not for their school. Why would you want to cheer for a school you don't go to or go to the prom of a school you don't go to? Why doesn't the charter just have their own clubs, sports, cheer and dances?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Sooooo....you're getting pissy because you want your kids to play sports for a school they don't even go to? Weird.
momaof8
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

your property taxes fund the school and don't go to the charter school the fed money does in PA state law protects your right to local district extra curriculars because you pay for them

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM
7 moms liked this

Why would you want to attend prom at a school you don't attend?  This makes zero sense to me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM
4 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous 2: The only charter school I'm aware of is for naughty kids with low IQs.
Lmao!. You may want to check your own IQ.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I can see their point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
It is publicly funded. The bill is very specific that charter school kids and home schooled kids can participate in sports and extra curricular activities. We were specifically assured that our kids would be able to participate by law in the sports and extracurriculars when we enrolled our kids. A copy of the statute was also provided to us outlining this.

The charter school is extremely small and has no sports. There are only 50 kids in each grade so a Prom would be lame-o. The issue isn't why they don't have their own. The issue is that the high school is violating state law by not allowing our kids to participate and by restricting their access. The high school cheer team also competes. They aren't just a pom squad.

Quoting PPCLC:

Is this a privately funded charter school? 

You might want to make sure of the state laws and how that pertains to the "home boundary." It might say it's exclusive to those schools in the public school district and does not include those students who attend a private school to even one that is privately funded.

Why would the charter school kids want to cheer for the local public high school teams? Why can't they have their own prom?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)