Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freakin lice.

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:17 AM
  • 48 Replies
I'm shaving everyone's head. Dd12 got it from her little friend at school. Of course she has long, thick hair. Got her treated, got everything all washed and bagged, checked everyone's head. All clear. But this morning dd4 got up scratching her head furiously. I found a few really tiny ones, she must have had nits I didn't see before. So of course I'm treating her and washing everything again. And I'm not checking anyone else, I'm going to go spend God knows how much and just go ahead and treat everyone. That's 4 girls and ds has short hair so it's not anything major with him. But the girls all have long hair...3 with curly thick hair.

I'm just like...omg it's almost summer. Short hair for everyone. And just burn all the damn bedding and stuffed animals. Jesus. I do really wish people wouldn't send their kids to school with lice.
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM
We use Quit Nits, works completely the first time.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM

It isn't the treatment you need as much as the combing at least 3x's a day every strand of their heads and I mean everyone for at least 10 days with the nit comb.  If you didn't know yours had lice someone else may not have either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Unfortunantly most schools don't exclude for lice anymore...

oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:20 AM
My kid starts preschool in the fall. I'm so dreading having to embrace the yearly lice drama.
Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM
This. Dd got it twice and I never had to use any chemicals on her hair and she is half Arab with really long thick hair. Lots of conditioner and comb, comb, comb every few days for a couple weeks with a metal flea comb. Vacuuming and washing bedding also helps.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It isn't the treatment you need as much as the combing at least 3x's a day every strand of their heads and I mean everyone for at least 10 days with the nit comb.  If you didn't know yours had lice someone else may not have either. 

Fuzzy.Tendrils
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Yes. I have probably 10 of those little combs. It's exhausting and I have the heebie jeebies.

I'm sure it goes unnoticed sometimes. It does seem like there are certain kids who are never rid of it, though.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Yes, it is exhausting.  Put the girls hair in braids to go to school it will help with lessen the chance of transference from others. 

Quoting Fuzzy.Tendrils: Yes. I have probably 10 of those little combs. It's exhausting and I have the heebie jeebies. I'm sure it goes unnoticed sometimes. It does seem like there are certain kids who are never rid of it, though.
Quoting fullxbusymom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM
According to a ped we saw (after hours walk in so not our regular- nor there for lice but the topic came up) they shouldn't be sending kids home/making kids stay home with lice.
Thankfully ds4s school they send them home and before they come back have go show "proof of treatment" (basically a box or something from the treatment) and have to be checked and clear before they're allowed to come back.
Unfortunately that's one of the only schools to do it and he won't be there next year

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Unfortunantly most schools don't exclude for lice anymore...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Picking out nits sucks.  I did it for hours and hours every night.   When my dd got it she had super super super short hair and it was a nightmare.  I almost wanted to shave her head.  She was in Kindergarten.  I washed the bedding every day and didn't let her sit on the couch or have a pillow for a month.  I can't believe they do not send kids home with lice now or even warn you someone in the class has it.  Stupid schools.  Glad mine are adults now.  

janedoedoh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM
My DD also has long crazy thick hair. A few years ago she got lice from school. I only found a couple nits. Did the treatment. Combed them out. Washed every damn blanket, toy, etc. did NOT realize I had to re-treat her in a couple weeks. And those fuckers came back with a vengeance!
I found them before bed and all stores were closed. I put a whole jar of mayonnaise on her head, wrapped it with clear wrap and in the morning scrubbed her head, bought a very good comb. And when I combed through her hair they were all dead. It worked! I've used a tea tree oil on her head ever since.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)