Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

JOP

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
What exactly is done for a JOP? I know we have to apply for the marriage licence and wait 3 days and do a ceremony within 60 days. But if you do it at the court house, do they make you say vows or anything? How long does it usually take. The county's website doesn't have much info and the director isn't really answering my questions directly but giving me broad descriptions.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM
When my ex & I got married at the JOP years ago, they still had you say vows.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM

They read a quick thing, you say you do and he says he does and done.  Why not call and ask them?

Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:33 PM
We got married at JOP 5 years ago. We scheduled an appointment to get married, they recited a nice speech about love, had us say our vows, exchange rings, kiss, then we signed the license and done.
KtyKat757
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:34 PM

I guess that might depend on the state.  In my state, you dont have to wait 3 days after getting the marriage license.  I left the court house and went straight to JOP.  Some court houses wont actually perform the ceremony, if any.  Using an actually judge that is.  The JOP officiants are usually pretty liberal and will preform any kind of ceremony: same sex, religious, non religious. I think no matter what, you will have to say vows, whether they are written by you, or the state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM
I called 5 times and no one answered.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

They read a quick thing, you say you do and he says he does and done.  Why not call and ask them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM
Do yoy have to exchange rings or was that up to you?

Quoting Gorilla_Mama: We got married at JOP 5 years ago. We scheduled an appointment to get married, they recited a nice speech about love, had us say our vows, exchange rings, kiss, then we signed the license and done.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM
It took like 20 minutes. We said our vows and then it was done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:38 PM
I just got married at jop last year. We said a quick set of views, the person marrying us said a few things about marriage, we exchanged rings (but you don't have to, we stayed for the couple after us cuz they needed a witness and they didn't have rings to exchange), and kissed. That was it, took about 4 min total lol.
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:38 PM
She asked if we had rings so I assume that was optional.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Do yoy have to exchange rings or was that up to you?

Quoting Gorilla_Mama: We got married at JOP 5 years ago. We scheduled an appointment to get married, they recited a nice speech about love, had us say our vows, exchange rings, kiss, then we signed the license and done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)