Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Group b strep, why do they wait?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
Until you go to have the baby to treat it?
I never had it any five of my pregnancies except for this one... But they said I don't get the antibiotics until I go into labor? Why wait? This question didn't hit me until now after I leave the doctors of course.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashiilolo
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:46 PM
I only had it with my second. I don't know why. She was a c section so it wasn't a big deal about having it.
TotallyWarped
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:49 PM
Because strep b can't hurt the baby while it's inside, only as it's coming out. The antibiotics work best of they're administered right before they're needed.

At least that's what I was told when I asked.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM
So screw the mom? Lol
Or is it not really a dangerous thing to us that our bodies will kick on its own eventually?

I mean obviously I want them to do what's best for the baby but I read in the phamlet I have to be On the antibiotics for 4 hours my kids all ranged from time of water breaking to birth the max was 5 hours and 36 minutes, so now I'm like will my baby even have time if they wait.

Quoting TotallyWarped: Because strep b can't hurt the baby while it's inside, only as it's coming out. The antibiotics work best of they're administered right before they're needed.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:59 PM
It has no impact on us whatsoever. If I went and got tested right now, they wouldn't treat it because it does nothing. Some people just have it and some don't.

Quoting Anonymous 1: So screw the mom? Lol
Or is it not really a dangerous thing to us that our bodies will kick on its own eventually?

I mean obviously I want them to do what's best for the baby but I read in the phamlet I have to be On the antibiotics for 4 hours my kids all ranged from time of water breaking to birth the max was 5 hours and 36 minutes, so now I'm like will my baby even have time if they wait.

Quoting TotallyWarped: Because strep b can't hurt the baby while it's inside, only as it's coming out. The antibiotics work best of they're administered right before they're needed.

TotallyWarped
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:01 PM
I was told it didn't harm us much or at all. Also they'll keep you on antibiotics after having the baby to ensure you do kick it. I will say that when they gave me the antibiotics with my DD, they burned. Like fire in my veins but it went away after about 5-10 mins.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:21 PM
Good to know about the burning lol!
Thanks for your help! I always think of questions when I get home and I'm like really crap! And it was bugging me.

Quoting TotallyWarped: I was told it didn't harm us much or at all. Also they'll keep you on antibiotics after having the baby to ensure you do kick it. I will say that when they gave me the antibiotics with my DD, they burned. Like fire in my veins but it went away after about 5-10 mins.

TotallyWarped
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:31 PM
I started writing down questions as they came to me. Or making a note in my phone to look at when I was in the office.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Good to know about the burning lol!
Thanks for your help! I always think of questions when I get home and I'm like really crap! And it was bugging me.

Quoting TotallyWarped: I was told it didn't harm us much or at all. Also they'll keep you on antibiotics after having the baby to ensure you do kick it. I will say that when they gave me the antibiotics with my DD, they burned. Like fire in my veins but it went away after about 5-10 mins.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:32 PM
It exists naturally in your body, you will be reinfected vaginally before giving birth.
salleem
by Reddlace on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:33 PM
As adults we are use to the culture so it does is no harm. Even without antibiotics transmission is rare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:35 PM
Make sure they give it to you. They forgot with me and my son ended up on oxygen for 6 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)