Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you rather your middle school student

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
Get straight As in easier courses or have an A/B average in harder courses?

My oldest has an A/B average in honors and GT level courses. The work is hard. The tests are hard. No multiple choice or true false type questions.

My SIL thinks we are crazy and that her son is doing better because he has straight As in all regular level courses. He qualifies for the same program my kid is in. But she would rather him get straight As. She said it will look better when applying to Magnet High Schools.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:03 PM
I'd rather see them challenge themselves. It will prepare them better for the more difficult high school and college classes.

I only got one B in high school, but I worked hard to earn that B and learned a lot more than I did in the other classes that were easy A's. I regret worrying more about my GPA and not challenging myself. I had a more difficult time in college as a result.
redneckmama4
by Loree on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:04 PM
Nope, I'd rather they were challenged than breeze through the work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM
Magnet high schools will take the types of courses into consideration.
sarahfire
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Harder courses definitely. Your son will thank you for it later.

J.Squared
by Mrs. Ackles on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM

harder courses

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Aren"t the grades weighted differnt for honors than general ed

mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM

They will also look that your son has been taking harder classes and still getting good grades.That will impress them more than a child that yes they are gettting straight A's but they are probably doing it with little to no effort.  I would want my child chanllenged.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM
I would rather my child be in the class where they get straight As.
momtoBrenna
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:09 PM
Harder courses for sure. We grade skipped our dd and they questioned on if we were okay with her going from the top of her grade to the bottom. What they didn't expect is that she is still close to the top and needs more subject acceleration in LA, math and science now 3 years later. Both kids attend an all gifted charter school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM
Straight A average in all honors classes is a requirement in my home. Unless you have a learning disability there is no excuse for anything less. I would not be happy with your son's grades or your nephew's grades.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)