Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guitar lessons for a 7 year old??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My 7 year old has been begging to learn the guitar, but I am unsure if she is too young or even where to start. My husband plays and I just started learning myself. I actually have trouble with certain chords because my hands are so small, so I feel unsure on how my 7 year old could learn considering her hands are way smaller. Obviously she would need a children's guitar..but where do we start?? I need some advice!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:49 PM
They make smaller guitars for smaller people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Bump! I'm curious too!

We will likely do piano lessons for our 7 year old, but I wonder about guitar at that age too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Daisy Rock guitars are made for young kids. Get her guitar lessons.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:55 PM
DH is a guitar teacher and he says the younger ones are usually the most eager to learn and the easiest to teach. He has an 8 year old student and whenever I see him, he's always excited to learn what Mr J has to teach him. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM

If you don't mind my asking, does he have any recommendations on a guitar for her?

Quoting Anonymous 4: DH is a guitar teacher and he says the younger ones are usually the most eager to learn and the easiest to teach. He has an 8 year old student and whenever I see him, he's always excited to learn what Mr J has to teach him. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:03 PM
From my experience, not as a teacher but I worked in a guitar store for a while, I would go with these https://www.daisyrock.com/products/acoustic/jr-miss-acoustic/jr-miss-acoustic as a starter guitar.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

If you don't mind my asking, does he have any recommendations on a guitar for her?

Quoting Anonymous 4: DH is a guitar teacher and he says the younger ones are usually the most eager to learn and the easiest to teach. He has an 8 year old student and whenever I see him, he's always excited to learn what Mr J has to teach him. :)

EdRooney
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:07 PM

My 8 year old has a 3/4 size acoustic.  Honestly it's a much better size for me than full size... still a little big for his little hands.  The ukulele is about perfect for the kids' reach.

He's shown interest, but I know enough to get him going IF he really wants to, so I've not offered to pay for lessons.  So many great youtube videos for free.  If he ever plays enough to get past the sore fingers, we'll talk!

Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM
My son started at eight with an adult sized guitar. He does fine.
PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM

My friends brothers self taught themselves when they were toddlers lol the oldest one is now in his 20's but when I met her and them he was only 3 1/2 and could play numerous songs on his own. lol So to me 7 is not to little to learn!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:15 PM

DD started at 8, but none of the places here would start any younger. She uses a a regular sized guitar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)