Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great Wolf Lodge sucked

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I didn't really like it. I don't understand all the positive reviews. The idea is good but the execution wasn't good IMO. It was way too crowded and we were even there on an "off" night. The restaurants were terrible. The rooms were cheap looking and not as clean as I would have liked. The show and story time were insanely lame and boring and didn't even grab my 5 year old's attention. The other activities were poorly run. The water park was ok but even at the newer one we went to (opened in '09) things were looking rather worn. They had the wave pool closed for most of our time there so that made the kitty pool just absolutely insanely crowded. Most of the staff was nice that we dealt with but there certainly wasn't an overwhelmingly warm and welcoming feel or anything.
We usually do more extravagant vacations but we thought this would just be something simple, cheap and fun for the kids. I'm not going back. I didn't want to rain on my family's parade so I'm just venting here instead I guess. Anyone else have a similar experience? Seems like everyone loves that place.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeppermintyTea
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:32 PM
I haven't been there, but there is one a few hours away I considered going to... I was talking to my stylist about it during an appointment, and she told me don't bother. She had lived close by it previously said it was always crowded, and she wasn't overly impressed when she went with her kids. So we decided to go camping in Oregon instead.
TwoPennies
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM
I haaaaaaaated GWL when we went. It's been about 5yrs ago now, and it sucked then too. We went to the Concord NC one. Dull, overpriced and the water park isn't all that exciting.
K3412
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM

I wasn't that impressed when we went either. I thought it would be better with all the hype. I don't think we'll be going back either. We can have a much better vacation for the same ammount of money elsewhere.

Mama8080
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:34 PM
What one did you go to?

Smugglers Notch in VT is an awesome resort for a kid friendly summer vacation. I can't say enough about that place. The kids are entertained all day it's awesome.
CampHarris
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:34 PM
They just opened one here in CA. It's brand new and it looks like a dump on the commercials! You couldn't pay me enough to swim in that cesspool.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM

I don't know how you thought this would be cheap.  I looked into them and their prices were outrageous.  I found a no name place that was amazing for a 1/4 of the price that Great Wolf wanted for the same exact thing for. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM
That's the one we went to. I was hoping that it would be nicer since it's newer. It was a let down.

Quoting TwoPennies: I haaaaaaaated GWL when we went. It's been about 5yrs ago now, and it sucked then too. We went to the Concord NC one. Dull, overpriced and the water park isn't all that exciting.
two4one
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM

I always heard such great things and I thought it was Meh. I agree about the story time. The water park was fun for a couple hours, but after awhile we were just over it. Definitely not a trip for more than 2 nights. The magic quest was cute, but we only got the basic wands. WHat a freaking money maker they have going wit hthat one. So many kids got the fancy wands, and caps, and this and that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM

I spent entirely too much money for what we got when we went. 

the kids liked it, but i wasnt overly excited. 

i live in an area full of indoor water parks.....its nott he cheapest but not the most expensive. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:37 PM
I guess I mean cheap compared to our usual vacations. I agree it was way overpriced after experiencing it.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I don't know how you thought this would be cheap.  I looked into them and their prices were outrageous.  I found a no name place that was amazing for a 1/4 of the price that Great Wolf wanted for the same exact thing for. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)