Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hey, I live in the city of Chicago. I have full custody of my niece. How do I go about get help from my state. I know there are help everywhere but I do not how or where to start. I work to jobs trying get in school. I have my own place pay my own bills but it so hard. No one help me with her. Everybody that said they will be there not I lost a lot during the process of gaining custody of her.she's 2 now I been back on for almost a year now but it so hard. Help please any leads are helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
valarie1979
by Already on it on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM
Your local income support division should be able to help you
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:49 PM
Idk, call the court maybe? I'm sorry, good luck.
hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:50 PM

How did you get custody?  If she was in foster care, you may be eligible for a subsidy.  Other than that, it's based on your income.

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Here

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=33698

Keep in mind that the state is likely going to file for child support against the parents once you apply. Not sure if Food stamps count as that or what.

You can also file for child support on your own ig you donrt get any.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Go to your local Department of Social Services. They can check income guidelines to see if you qualify for anything. Also they can give you the names/numbers of other organizations that you may qualify for. Just know that SOME (food stamps and energy assistance in my state does not require but cash assistance does) programs do require child support.

Embrelle
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM
Thanks u ladies I do get food stamp for her she nor in foster care. I got my custody thru.court
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:36 PM

With the fact you did it independently other than food stamps and social services programs I don't know in IL others that will help.  Also with the state that the money in IL is in I can't see them having money to help anyone.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)