Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone use these for their baby?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM
  • 19 Replies

I'm getting closer to my due date for our fourth. We've been doing some work on the nursery and deciding if we want to use one of our older kids cribs or get a new one. My mother in law read an article on montessori floor beds, instead of getting a crib, and wants me to look into it. It's basically a crib mattress on the floor. The nursery is made into a safe space so if the baby crawls off the mattress they will be safe. 

Looks like this:

They also have attachments to help keep the baby from rolling out of bed, though it's low enough to the ground that it wouldn't hurt them if they did:

It gives them more freedom of movement and I guess it is supposed to help with self soothing because if they wake up, they can do their own thing until they are ready to fall back asleep instead of relying on an adult to remove them from the crib. It also prevents some of the risks that can happen with a crib. At this point, I'm not against it. My husband likes it. So I'm looking more into it. 

The baby will sleep in a bassinet and then a mini crib next to our bed until they are about 10-12 months, so this is for once they are almost a year, not as newborns. Since we only use a crib for about 6-12 months after that, it seems like it could be a good option.

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I like my kid caged until I feel I can trust him. I couldn't sleep knowing my young baby could just get up and walk about. Do you lock them in their room? What if they escape? No. Probably not till at least 2
Mama8080
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM
I like that idea. My 8 month old fell out of the crib and got wedged between the back and wall hanging by his neck/head. He couldn't even cry. I just happened to go in there to put some clothes away.
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM
I wish I'd known about those before I had my last baby! That is awesome! I don't believe in making babies go to sleep on their own, so I'm always putting them down asleep and DAMN is it hard with a crib! Especially now that they don't make cribs with the side that can be lowered anymore. This would have made my life easier for the past 6 months!
April620
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk we coslept because I'm lazy
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:17 PM
I must be an innovator! I did this in my son's room 2 years ago.

He still doesn't sleep in there...
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM

OMG!!! I would have loved that for both my kids.

kmeow
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM
When my daughter was like ten months old I started her in a twin mattress on the floor. I didn't know there was a fancy name for it, she had just been cosleepung until that point and I didn't want to shell out for a crib she would barely use.
jaxons_mama
by Live*Laugh*Love on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM
This

Quoting April620: Idk we coslept because I'm lazy
mrs.hummus
by 👸 hummus👸 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM
If I ever have another kid I'd get one of those in a heartbeat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM
One of my friends did this. She loved it. I love it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)