Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They want us to pay for first grade....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 127 Replies

Please help me understand this guys I feel like they are just dicking me around at the school. My DD is in K. It was funded this year. 

The problem is now that they are saying we will have to pay for first grade. School is not required here until 8. There is one school that is offering it for free but we missed the cut off (we didnt know there was even a cut off) for getting into the school. So we either pay the tuition (it is $1,200) or homeschool her. 

Now I dont mind paying the tuition it will be worth it but I feel like I am getting ripped off. I have heard of this for kindergarten but NEVER 1st grade. I live in PA

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Salut123
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Public school has to let you in.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It sucks, but states are not required to pay for school before the age of compulsory attendance
sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM
School is not required until 8, as in middle school?? Wow. That's insane.

I'm still shocked that y'all even have to pay for school... public, right?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:30 PM

What do you mean by that? They arent saying DD cant go to school at all. They are saying that specific school. I know they can deny you from going to a specific school 

Quoting Salut123:

Public school has to let you in.

sahmof3fl
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:30 PM
Contact the CPS in your area. Because I didn't think that anything after kindergarten was voluntary anywhere in the United States. I know some places kindergarten isn't mandatory. But CPS will be able to tell you what is and is not mandatory.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:30 PM

I am sorry I was not clear

8 years old. It is a public school 

Quoting sammichmaker: School is not required until 8, as in middle school?? Wow. That's insane. I'm still shocked that y'all even have to pay for school... public, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM

It isnt mandatory. You cant even get in trouble for not putting your kid in school 

Quoting sahmof3fl: Contact the CPS in your area. Because I didn't think that anything after kindergarten was voluntary anywhere in the United States. I know some places kindergarten isn't mandatory. But CPS will be able to tell you what is and is not mandatory.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM
If the compulsory age is 8, then they're not obligated to offer free preschool.
Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Is this public school? Is so I would home school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM
Same here .. I am in NY .We don't pay for school,some districts (mine is one )even have universal pre k that's free

Quoting sammichmaker: School is not required until 8, as in middle school?? Wow. That's insane.

I'm still shocked that y'all even have to pay for school... public, right?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)