Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Therapy pets

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Can a Landlord charge a fee if you have a letter from a doctor that you or your child need a therapy pet? The pet would be a cat in this situation.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know for sure, here's a bump. I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the ADA.
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think they can charge you BUT tread carefully because when your lease is up they can decide not to renew it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM
no clue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends on the laws in your state. My daughter's dog is a therapy dog. He alerts when she has an asthma attack. And calms her during panic attacks. We've never had to pay a pet fee on him.
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM
We charge people the pet deposit even if it's a therapy animal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM

No they have really started to fuck over landlords and force them to have these bullshit "therapy" pets that come in and ruin their houses and there's nothing they can do about it anymore because every little snowflake needs a animal to help them with their feelings!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:40 PM
All the research I have done says that landlords can not charge a fee but I was wanting to know of a legit article or something to make that conclusion.

Quoting Stephd710: We charge people the pet deposit even if it's a therapy animal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM
Some people ruin it for people who really do need it just like everything else!

Quoting Anonymous 4:

No they have really started to fuck over landlords and force them to have these bullshit "therapy" pets that come in and ruin their houses and there's nothing they can do about it anymore because every little snowflake needs a animal to help them with their feelings!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM
My dad has an emotional support cat and we did not have to pay a fee or deposit for her with a current legal prescription from her doctor (we are in WA).
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM
You'll have to do your own research. I work for a housing authority and we have to follow HUD rules. They say we can charge the fee.

Quoting Anonymous 1: All the research I have done says that landlords can not charge a fee but I was wanting to know of a legit article or something to make that conclusion.

Quoting Stephd710: We charge people the pet deposit even if it's a therapy animal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)