Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So frustrated but so proud of myself

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this
Between December of 2014 and March of 2015 I had three back surgeries. The final one was to place a device called a Neurostimulator in my back to help deal with my pain and be able to wean off of most of my medication. I was in physical therapy for 10 months and was released in January. They got it to where I could easily walk 15 minutes without a break. After that it was on me.

I've been walking and built myself up to 30 minutes daily. My back is handling that but I can't walk 45 minutes. It's just far too much. The pain when I try is horrible. My device handles most of it but I've been having to take extra pain pills.

When I started walking it took 30 minutes to walk a mile. Yesterday I walked a 21 minute mile. Today I decided to break up my walk and add 10 minutes total. Tonight I walked a 20 minute mile. It might not seem like much. But this time last year I couldn't walk to my kitchen without a cane. It's frustrating to have to go so slow but I'm so proud of how far I've come.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this

You should be proud. Way to work it! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Right on! Keep going, listen to your body, & be proud, this is a huge accomplishment!

Does walking further hurt you as you are walking and does the pain increase after the walk?
cbkmom3
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
That is something to be proud of. After I had my hip replacement surgery (to correct a birth defect), the next day I walked 150 feet down the hall. Doesn't sound like much, but after what I had been doing, that was Mt. Everest to me. Keep up the great work!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM
A little of both. The pain over rides my stem and gets worse once I rest. I have to cool my body down slow. It took awhile to learn the signs before I over did.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Right on! Keep going, listen to your body, & be proud, this is a huge accomplishment!

Does walking further hurt you as you are walking and does the pain increase after the walk?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM
I need help learning the signs, I can physically do things and tolerate the pain but after it gets really bad

Quoting Anonymous 1: A little of both. The pain over rides my stem and gets worse once I rest. I have to cool my body down slow. It took awhile to learn the signs before I over did.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Right on! Keep going, listen to your body, & be proud, this is a huge accomplishment!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Way to go! Keep it up
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM
When the pain is getting bad I feel the pressure first. I did a lot of biofeedback during therapy. It took awhile to notice. But I've gotten to noticing the little things. It was something we worked on a lot.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I need help learning the signs, I can physically do things and tolerate the pain but after it gets really bad

Quoting Anonymous 1: A little of both. The pain over rides my stem and gets worse once I rest. I have to cool my body down slow. It took awhile to learn the signs before I over did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)