Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sudden stuttering

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Three weeks ago my son started stuttering very badly. Is this a normal phase? We are so far ignoring it and going to discuss next week with his pediatrician and see if further action needs to be taken. Just seems so weird it is out of the blue. He is very vocal for a three year old and until recently was able to speak very clearly.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM-RN
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM
I'd go sooner than later. It could be neurological.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM
I didn't even think of that. He hasn't had any head injuries but now I can't stop thinking of a brain tumor. My mother had one and passed away three years ago and my paternal grandfather had one as well and died 28 years ago.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM
No it's pretty normal.

Often their brains are moving faster then their mouths are. When he starts to stutter ask him to stop, take a breath and start again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM
He doesn't seem bothered by it and everything I've read alone indicates this is very normal especially for boys. Still freaked me out!

Quoting luckysevenwow: No it's pretty normal.

Often their brains are moving faster then their mouths are. When he starts to stutter ask him to stop, take a breath and start again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM
My son did that about the same age. Out of the blue. We brought him to speech therapy and it cleared up within the year. Not sure if it would have cleared up in its own or not but obviously didn't want to take any chances.
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM

It depends on what you mean by stuttering badly. drawing out the first letter of a word at the start of a sentence, it's pretty typical at thta age because their mind is moving faster than what their mouth is doing.

I know because I had my son checked at about the same age for that happening.

IF he can barely get words out - stuttering on every one. Get him to the ped right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM
It's definitely the first letter of ta word at the beginning of a sentence and not every sentence. Usually he just gets very excited and then struggles. But he will say " I I I I I I want to go outside" or " cacacacannn I have a cookie".

Quoting mmm2015:

It depends on what you mean by stuttering badly. drawing out the first letter of a word at the start of a sentence, it's pretty typical at thta age because their mind is moving faster than what their mouth is doing.

IF he can barely get words out - stuttering on every one. Get him to the ped right now.

BamaMomto4
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:06 PM

my second son went through phase of stuttering at that age. Back then (late 80s) I was told by the pediatrician to give it either 4 or 6 months(been so long I forget which)  before I needed to be concerned about it. The speech therapist at my oldest son's school( I was friends with a teacher who was friends with her) confirmed what the pediatrician said. 

About a week before that time was up DS stopped stuttering as suddenly as he had started.

mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Yea I wouldn't be worried then. Like I said when my son started to do that I took him to the drs. I had a speech impediment growing up (not a studder) and knew the earlier the better to get it treated.

Dr said it's typical and he would grow out of it - and he did!

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's definitely the first letter of ta word at the beginning of a sentence and not every sentence. Usually he just gets very excited and then struggles. But he will say " I I I I I I want to go outside" or " cacacacannn I have a cookie".
Quoting mmm2015:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Pretty normal. My oldest went through it and the pediatrician said lots of kids do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)