Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh, my daughter hates her height...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies

She's 16 and was about 5'4" at the beginning of the school year. She had a huge growth spurt and is now 5'10". At least once a day she makes a comment about how she's "too tall", feels like a giraffe, is taller than all her friends now, etc. She pretty much had a meltdown when her old clothes started to not fit anymore.

I feel bad for her but it's hard for me to relate since I'm short (her dad is the tall one).

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
It sucks now. Remind her soon her friends might catch up and that boys like tall girls and Taylor swift is 5'10 and any other crap you can think of. Plus, take her shopping
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:23 AM
I'm 5'10" and at 16 it was horrible. By 17 I was over it. Now I make short jokes to my 5'2" sister.
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:28 AM
I am only 5'7" but I get the feeling awkward with shorter friends. All my friends were 5'2" or 5'3". When we would be flirting with guys they would blush and hide thier face in my shoulder or stand somewhat behind me. I couldn't exactly bend over and hide behind them. I always felt like I stood out. I was over by the end of high school as well. She will find her confidence.
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:29 AM
I'm 5'2 and have to use a stool to get shit off of the top shelf in my cabinets and pantry. Tell her....short people problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:29 AM

Thank you. I actually mentioned Taylor Swift to her a few days ago. She's a big fan and knowing that they're the same height kind of helped.

A shopping trip is a good idea. Any store recommendations?

Quoting Anonymous 2: It sucks now. Remind her soon her friends might catch up and that boys like tall girls and Taylor swift is 5'10 and any other crap you can think of. Plus, take her shopping

curvygurl1912
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:32 AM

My dd is 15 and has been 6'2 for a couple of years now. She was 5'10 at 11 years old. You just have to buy her cute clothes that fit well and show her all the positives that come with her height. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:33 AM
I'm only 5 4 but I was this height in like 4th grade so I was taller than all the other kids. Until high school really. I hated it. So I can relate. I'm sure it won't do any good but she needs to know that all the boys and many of the girls will grow very soon. Once she's 20 she will be tall, but she won't feel awkward.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:35 AM
So many stores have extended lengths now. It wasn't this way in 1989!

Gap, old navy jeans are long and if they're not long enough you can order them online. But its almost summer so you can focus on cute summery shorts and dresses and tanks so length shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thank you. I actually mentioned Taylor Swift to her a few days ago. She's a big fan and knowing that they're the same height kind of helped.

A shopping trip is a good idea. Any store recommendations?

Quoting Anonymous 2: It sucks now. Remind her soon her friends might catch up and that boys like tall girls and Taylor swift is 5'10 and any other crap you can think of. Plus, take her shopping

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:38 AM

I would give anything right now for my daughter to have a 6'2" friend. Make her feel a bit more normal, lol. She seems open to trying basketball or volleyball this summer, so maybe that will help.

Clothes are tough. I'm not even sure we're looking in the right places. She's all leg.

Quoting curvygurl1912:

My dd is 15 and has been 6'2 for a couple of years now. She was 5'10 at 11 years old. You just have to buy her cute clothes that fit well and show her all the positives that come with her height. 

squeekers
by squeekers on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:39 AM
I passed my mother at 5'9" my freshman year of high school & stopped at 5'10 1/2 th". DD is 5'11" & DD has stopped growing at 5'5 3/4 th".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)