Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Go to school. Get an education; that will end all your troubles

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
2 moms liked this

Go to school, they said.  Get an advanced degree, they said.  It will be fun, they said.  I am working on my PhD in microbiology and am currently taking a career development course, which requires that I identify a career, other than that in a research intensive academic institution, and write a paper on that career and how I will put myself on a path toward attaining said career.

Well, I have begun researching and working on this paper and to say the job market is bleak is a, well...understatement.  Sure, I'm in a prestigious program and we have nearly 100% job placement, but it makes me question the motivation for this statement.  No matter how far we come as a society, or how far we advance technologically, we are ALWAYS going to need someone to work at the grocery store, drug store, convenience store, etc.

Why then do we demonize them?  Why is it so hard for our society to understand that livable wages are a basic human right?  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:30 AM

I think it's time for you to get a job in your career line, and start making some money for all the education you have attained.  You are becoming lost as a student.  Oh, also, I dare you to go work at Krogers, after you earn that degree, and make that your career choice.  Start making your money so you can start thinking correct.  lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:31 AM
A basic human right? Get back
to me when you're trying to run
a small business and turn a profit all
while paying low skilled labor a
a "living wage" or $30 and hour ish.

I don't demonize any one that's working but what do you think happens when they raise
wages for all low lever workers across the board in our current economic
set up? Inflation. You may be making 50 percent more but soon enough all your stuff is going to cost
more.
squeekers
by squeekers on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:35 AM
Grampa is darned & determined to shame DD into college for bills she doesn't need, homework she doesn't wish for & classes she doesn't want. He has been 'discussing' the idea since 2nd grade.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:38 AM
Plus throwing a lifetime of debt at already poor people helps a ton
Flobrooks
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:42 AM

Going to college for the sake of going to college is a BIG waste of time and money, either yours or the taxpayers. You should first have a career plan then go to the school that would repare you for that career, not pick a school because you like the football team and then get a PhD because you never could get a job or figure out what you want to be when you grow up.

SaintJudes
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:51 AM
Correctly*

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I think it's time for you to get a job in your career line, and start making some money for all the education you have attained.  You are becoming lost as a student.  Oh, also, I dare you to go work at Krogers, after you earn that degree, and make that your career choice.  Start making your money so you can start thinking correct.  lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:55 AM
Correcting people's grammar and typing mistakes just makes you seem
like a self important a hole. Pretty
sure she knows the correct word, and even if she didn't still a douche move.

Quoting SaintJudes: Correctly*

Quoting Anonymous 2:

SaintJudes
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:56 AM
That's a big question for this site dear, so don't expect much, but to be honest with you, its human nature to put down or demonize lower paying jobs simply because quality of living is lower.
Of course we need those people but many more people can do grocery bagging than they can microbiology, so there's no need to emphasize the importance of low paying jobs when most anyone can do them.
We need to emphasize the more skilled/technical jobs because they take hard work, practice, dedication, skill, patience, money, time, experience, and literacy+education to achieve them.
eadyT
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:00 AM
We wouldn't want these businesses to go broke now would we.
*Major sarcasm*

I owned and operated a successful business. I paid my people a living wage also. Guess what. I could still provide a service at a competitive price and I didn't go bankrupt doing it.
I also have two degrees.
SaintJudes
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:00 AM
I don't give a flying fuck

Quoting Anonymous 3: Correcting people's grammar and typing mistakes just makes you seem
like a self important a hole. Pretty
sure she knows the correct word, and even if she didn't still a douche move.

Quoting SaintJudes: Correctly*

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)