Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kid and flights don't mix!!!UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I have two daughters one 10 and one is 8, I travel a lot (for my job) which means they sometimes have to travel with me, however my 8 year old is terrified of planes! She flew twice (both short flights ) and she had a panic attack! She started throwing up, her nose started bleeding, and wouldn't stop screaming and crying! Soo most of the times when I travel she stays behind with my parents, or when we travel out of state for family vacations and reunions my parents drive their RV and she rides with them, well we had a death in the family and we're flying out to Texas Friday, and this time my parents can't drive... It would take way too long for them to get there and they would have to leave a day earlier and that's not realistic because there is Soo much to do! Same with me,I'm super busy at work that I can't leave a day earlier, everyone in my family is flying out Soo she can't stay behind, even her dad and his wife are attending the funeral (he was really good friends with my cousin that died).. Soo there is really no option she has to fly out, I'm not sure what to do, because the flight is pretty long! Any suggestions?

When DD got home from school I had her help out a lot with last minute things (shopping,packing,laundry etc)we ran some errands, I kept her up the entire time(she got up for school at 6, Soo by the time we got to the airport she had crashed!!!!! We just landed in Texas and she's still sleep!!! Hopefully it'll be the same way coming back,if not she's flying back with her step mom and her dad! Lol
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:12 AM
You'll have to not go. Thems the breaks of being a parent. Your kids mental health comes first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:49 AM
Give her a xanax. ....im sorry I would drug her. Or give her benadryl or a Tylenol pm so she is nice and sleepy. Im afraid of flying now too because I have anxiety so my mom gave me two of her xanax pills to knock me out. I was nice and calm.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Your kid can deal, she will be fine.  Teach her some breathing techniques for anxiety, they can be found all over the Internet.

towerjunkie1989
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:53 AM
Talk to the doctor to see what you can give her for anxiety
Rigby229
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:54 AM
Ask her pediatrician. Maybe you and she can walk through the scenario and do some imagining and breathing exercises. What's her actual fear plane crashes?
PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:55 AM

I won't even get on a plane unless I am too drugged or drunk to notice, I would not force that anxiety on a small child no matter what, so its either YOU don't go or find a sitter till you get back. That is what I would do if it were my kid who had flying anxiety you do not want to make it worse do you?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Have her fly with dad. Let him deal with it this time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:57 AM
And the mental health of Mom going to the funeral and grieving and saying goodbye shouldn't be considered right?

Give me a break.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You'll have to not go. Thems the breaks of being a parent. Your kids mental health comes first.
Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM
I would ask the pediatrician.

And then I would do some discussion and reassurance at home and in the way to the airport. What specifically is she scared of?
MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM
Go to her doctor and get her an anti anxiety med.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)