Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
Would you feel comfortable letting your 9 year old out in the neighborhood unsupervised with a friend?

A specific example with some factors to consider:

The end of the street has a cat walk that leads to 3 schools. To get to the end of the street, you have to pass over one of the main side streets in the area. The school they chose to ride bikes around is in the middle, and behind the building. (You can't see the area they are playing in from the street or the catwalk).

The neighborhood is generally safe, but there are alot of breaks in happening cars in the middle of the night and a few letters home during the school year about suspicious people walking around the area. There are also alot of coyotes roaming.

The boys have been getting in trouble at school lately for being too rough/fighting when they are playing group sports like soccer. They were spoken to by the Principal as recently as last Friday.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:08 AM
Probably. I was running around relatively unsupervised at that age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:12 AM
Yes, I would. Mine have been doing that since age 7. I'd lay down rules and boundaries and check on them every so often. If they abuse the privilege, they lose it.
bigmouthbabe
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. Not those boys with that track record and those details.
AvantGardener
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:13 AM
My kids are 7 and 5 and they already run all over the neighborhood.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:13 AM
DS wouldn't be outside playing if he was in trouble at school. His butt would be grounded.

That aside... DS is 8yo and plays relatively unsupervised in the neighborhood.
curvygurl1912
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:14 AM

I allowed it at 7ish

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:16 AM
Nope. With break ins, suspicious people, and the fighting, I would not call this a safe neighborhood.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:33 AM
No, because of the trouble in school.
If they cannot behave while supervised
I would not trust them unsupervised
MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:35 AM
I started running around our neighborhood and town with a friend around 8-9 years old. As long as you feel it is safe. My kids have pretty free reign of our neighborhood and have for several years now. They are 10 & 11.
PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 7:36 AM

My 7 yr old does on her own in the neighborhood so at 9 it wouldn't be an issue!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)