Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone taking medicine for mood disorders ??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I have a friend who's going to the doctor today. And suggestions on meds would be great. My friend has anger,frustrated , agitated . I think pretty much bipolar disorder. She has never have been on anything. But their therapist suggested they go get on something. Anything with pretty much no side effects . Because she said she will stop taking it if they are bad ones. Thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:55 AM

My youngest was on respirdal and it helped.  Good luck to your friend.

spooky415
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:56 AM
Dh takes lithium for moderate bipolar disorder, formerly diagnosed as cyclothymia.

Sometimes his stomach bothers him if they increase the dose.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:58 AM
This is something her Dr and her Dr will figure out. Everyone reacts differently to all medications.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM
I'm BP1 with psychotic features. My mood stabilizer and anti psychotic is Seroquel, my antidepressant is Effexor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, there are a lot of different medications. Every medication can have some side effects, but they are really an individual thing. Two people taking the same medicine may have different side effects or none at all. That is really going to have to be something she discusses with her doctor. Getting the right medication can take a lot of trial and error. Sometimes it can take months or even years to find the right combinations of medicines. I wish her luck.
SaintJudes
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow you are!? My moms bipolar. Super tough to deal with growing up as a kid but I feel for her. She is on 5 or 6 meds now (she probably tried hundreds) and is so much better now. She's practically normal! Except when she decides to go off them she acts bat shit crazy again.
Well I feel for ya, I know it can be hard.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'm BP1 with psychotic features. My mood stabilizer and anti psychotic is Seroquel, my antidepressant is Effexor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is on geodon for his bipolar and it works well for him. Hopefully she understands that finding the right medication (or combo of medications) can take time and be a bit of a trial and error. Also, there may be side effects (especially with mood stabilizers and especially in the beginning). It is also just one tool that is used. Counseling and learning coping techniques will also be needed. If she doesn't have one already, she needs to find a good psychiatrist. I wish her luck.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Depression with Wellbutrin and Celexa
I feel amazing
SaintJudes
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
This. None of us will be able to tell you what's best for your friend.
I tried Zoloft however in very small doses for depression and it really works for me.

Quoting Raeann11: This is something her Dr and her Dr will figure out. Everyone reacts differently to all medications.
Marivilla
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Zoloft and Valium for depression and anxiety. Great stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)