Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm nervous about showing my mom....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My wedding dress.

Originally, I thought I wanted an ivory or colored tea length with cap sleeves but every time I tried on a dress like that, I felt frumpy. I like the long dresses but none of them felt "me".

Finally, I found a knee-length princess cut dress with thick straps but no sleeves. It is also V-Cut instead of boatneck or bateau.

My mom is EXTREMELY critical and I'm worried she won't like it. She's coming over an in hour and I'm going to surprise her. Wish me luck!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM
It's your day! Congrats!
marmie41
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM
Why don't you show us first. That way if mom is very critical you can gage her response by ours and determine if she is just in bitch mode or telling you an honest opinion.

Did that make sense?
Allnamesareused
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Uugghhh, aren't you an adult? PUT her in her place, or be ready to be nervous the rest of your life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Quoting marmie41: Why don't you show us first. That way if mom is very critical you can gage her response by ours and determine if she is just in bitch mode or telling you an honest opinion. Did that make sense?

It totally does. I'm overweight, though...and people here don't like me. I don't think I would get a totally honest reaction here, either!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Quoting Allnamesareused: Uugghhh, aren't you an adult? PUT her in her place, or be ready to be nervous the rest of your life.

I do put her in her place all the time. I've also been to counseling. I have come to realize that I don't need her approval. I just want it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:06 AM
It's your special day...don't mind what anyone else would say. Good luck and congratulations!
marmie41
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM
I understand. If you want pm me a pic I will be honest, in a nice way. I understand your hesitance, as I have been wedding dress shopping with dd, and I have learned to give her my honest opinion in a diplomatic way.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting marmie41: Why don't you show us first. That way if mom is very critical you can gage her response by ours and determine if she is just in bitch mode or telling you an honest opinion.

Did that make sense?

It totally does. I'm overweight, though...and people here don't like me. I don't think I would get a totally honest reaction here, either!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I say you need to buy what you want and feel good in.  

I have 2 dd's getting married, one in a month and one in a year.  They got totally different dresses but each of them are what they wanted.  I love them both on them, but my oldest dress is more my taste.  My youngest is too plain, but I love it on her and it is exactly what she dreamed of.  She looks wonderful.  We all have different taste.  Update us.  

geeez
by Baroness on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:11 AM
Your dress sounds beautiful...
morgiefae
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Oh I want to see it! I love dresses! come on! please?!

I promise i'll give you a honest opinion of it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)