Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Messy looking kids

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM
  • 89 Replies
1 mom liked this
So we are going to have a picture taken of the grandkids on my side of the family for my moms bday and for Father's Day for my dad. We are doing it on the beach and having the kids wear a mixture of white, blue, and purple. So here's the thing my SILs and I have talked about. My other SIL's kids are always a mess. Like clothes wrinkled so bad it looks like they were rolled in a ball and run over before they were put on, and old worn clothing, hair doesn't look brushed etc. I get kids get messy playing but they are like this all the time. Their parents don't care. They say "they are kids who cares what they look like". But the last few pictures we have done over the years they stick out like sore thumbs. People have even commented on it like "what happened to so and so?" My girls and the other kids are all neatly dressed, hair combed or styled and then her kids look like they got thrown in the picture after a wrestling match, added to the fact that my one nephew refuses to smile. We aren't asking for much, but if we are paying money for nice pictures it would be great if they kids all look nice in them for a change.

The thing is how do you even bring that up. I can't exactly say "hey can you run an iron over DS' shirt and run a brush through DD's hair? I was thinking maybe if i offer to do her daughters hair like I do my girls' as a "fun" thing? I don't know how to approach the messy clothes though. like how do you say "hey go buy new clothes" or "wash and iron". My other SIL said we should just go buy her kids clothes for the picture ourselves and just say we were getting our kids things that coordinate so we picked up for her too. I wonder if that will offend her?

Opinions?
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:15 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree with your other SIL. Just buy the clothes and say it's for coordinating with the other kids. Bring a brush and some clips/hair bands to the shoot and do hair on the spot.

1boy1girlmama
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup. Go with your SIL's suggestion. Get the clothes and hold onto them until picture time them have the kids change. This is what we do often with our family pictures. Usually me or my SIL will go pick everything out. It works out nicely and avoids a lot of conflict in your situation.
Sparkler16
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
That's what I think we will do. She's really touchy though and I'm afraid it will offend her. I tried to brush her daughters hair last time and she got annoyed at me. She's like "she doesn't like her hair back, just leave it." So the kid had an overgrown mop hanging in her face for the picture. I'm thinking if I can get to the girls first and ask them if j can do their hair instead of her that might help. My husband said I should just have a sleepover with the kids the night before and that way I can just get them ready with my kids in the morning so I'm thinking that too. They sleep here all the time so it's not so far fetched. Then in just going to be running around with 6 kids instead of 3 lol

Quoting Libby22:

I agree with your other SIL. Just buy the clothes and say it's for coordinating with the other kids. Bring a brush and some clips/hair bands to the shoot and do hair on the spot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:21 AM
I agree with SIL just go and buy new clothes.
cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Can you bring an iron,comb, etc and make like you are fixing all the kids clothes and hair? I wouldn't take offense to someone helping my kids look more presentable. 

I want to do professional pics this year for the first time. How did you decide what to have everyone wear? I love outfits are color coordinated but different items...not sure how I'm going to do that. Seems like a pain just to take pics!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM
6 moms liked this
Get over it. Do you want a photo of the actual family? Because it sounds like you want a pic with some other people. In 20 years you'll look back at the funny little unkempt kids in the photo and laugh, maybe even miss seeing their unbriahed hair.
tabicatinthehat
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Send a group text to everyone who will be in the pic about bright, crisp whites and offering to do hair. They'll know it's about them, but they won't be able to say it is without... well... saying it is. ;D

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Why is it all on your SIL to make them presentable? I would just talk to my brother, tell him we want a nice picture for the card and to have his kids hair brushed and such. We're an open family and I can talk to my family in an open way if there is an issue. 

For photos I make sure my kids have clean ironed clothing, brushed hair, and that they use proper posture and smile for the camera. If they gave me issues about it, they would be in trouble. If they showed up looking like they've been rolling down hills all day, I know someone in my family would say something.

1boy1girlmama
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Sleep over is a great idea!

Quoting Sparkler16: That's what I think we will do. She's really touchy though and I'm afraid it will offend her. I tried to brush her daughters hair last time and she got annoyed at me. She's like "she doesn't like her hair back, just leave it." So the kid had an overgrown mop hanging in her face for the picture. I'm thinking if I can get to the girls first and ask them if j can do their hair instead of her that might help. My husband said I should just have a sleepover with the kids the night before and that way I can just get them ready with my kids in the morning so I'm thinking that too. They sleep here all the time so it's not so far fetched. Then in just going to be running around with 6 kids instead of 3 lol

Quoting Libby22:

Ms.Marple
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this
You can accept them as they are or you can choose not to do a full family picture.
Focus on your own kids and leave her alone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)