Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want to live that long

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Everyone in my family, both sides live to be late 80's to early 90's. My great grandma lived to be 101. I honestly don't want to live that long. I don't want to be in a nursing home EVER. I don't want to have to wear a diaper because I lost control of my bladder. I don't want to lose my mind or my memories, get dementia, and starve myself. 

Anyone else feel this way? I rather die in my 60s or something. Die remembering who the hell I am... ugh, I'm watching my grandma slowly slip away and it's soo heartbreaking. She's not the woman she once was. I cannot imagine my kids last memory of me was not being the person they remembered. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momngram
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Thankfully more and more states are giving people the right to die with dignity.  I hope you live in one of them

MOM-RN
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM
I plan on living to a ripe old age, healthy and active.

60 is not old and I would be heart broken to die that young.

My dad snowshoed on his 72nd birthday in the cascades. He will be 79 this year and still active and healthy!
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I'm 35 and have had to wear a diaper because of my tumor. I wouldn't want to die because of that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Nope, sadly I don't. I wonder what the requirements are to die with dignity in other states?

Quoting momngram:

Thankfully more and more states are giving people the right to die with dignity.  I hope you live in one of them

fivekids2220
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:12 PM

You, apparently, are not that close to 60 or you might have a different perspective.  Just take super good care of yourself - never stop exercising, using your mind, and maintaining good nutrition, so that when you get to be old (if you are so lucky), you can enjoy it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I agree. I feel like I've done everything I wanted to do and have had a lot of fun. I'd be content to go now. I kind of look forward to it as sick as it sounds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I watched my dad die. He had a form Of dementia. He was 61. My grandmother on the other hand lived to be 92. Lived in her own apartment for 12 years (she moved into the apartment after gramps died becuase the house was too big) and was dating 15 men at the same time (go granny)!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:17 PM
Yeah, I'm in my fifties, look like I'm in my thirties, and am in better physical shape than most of my DDs 22 year old friends. I eat really well, workout an hour and a half daily-weights, cardio, Pilates, yoga, treadmill-get at least 12000 steps a day, and play women's football. I have no plans of dying, or being "old" in 10 years.
I have an 85 year old aunt. She travels, cooks, gardens, writes crazy funny stuff on fb, and is as spry as they come. She's got no plan for dying or getting old either.
ame19
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:18 PM

One of my grandmothers is in her 80s. She is healthy as can be, smokes cigars, and still plays poker.

My other grandmother that is also in her 80s has dementia, good and bad days, and slipping away very quickly. She used to be a nurse and was really healthy. She was riding her bikes and walking in her 70s, but things went bad when things started to go crazy in her life... even though my brother, myself, and my parents were right there with her. She went down hill pretty quickly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:19 PM

People age differently.  Some are helpless at 76.  Some are still running their own companies and going out dancing every Saturday night and playing in a band (my MIL).  My step grandmother is 92 and looks 70.  Sure she has memory issues sometimes, but she's still rockin' and rollin'.  She still flies across the country to see my step dad. 

I also work for a non-profit for the elderly in nursing homes.  Sometimes it's attitude with the residents.  If they are hugely negative they seem to age more rapidly.  Others are still walking around and feeding themselves.  They're only in a home because they want the friendships with other residents.

Not everyone is helpless in old age.  Sometimes it's due to genetics.  Sometimes it's due to attitude.  So many variables.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)